cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long before my line "settles" at the estimated speed?

notmyname
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: How long before my line "settles" at the estimated speed?

I'd remove the BBEU number mate.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,601

@Briggers wrote:

Just got a call, engineer booked to come on monday.
Can't see the point, as i said nothing changed here only the router, plus whatever they did at the exchange etc.

We'd raise a fault report based on the test result. If the fault location isn't external then we'd need to arrange a visit. Apologies for the inconvenience caused, let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

@Briggers, did you ever test with your old BT router?

Briggers
Dabbler

I couldnt get the old router to work. Just kept giving me a Red B(solid not flashing) which apparently means "You’ve tried to log in with the wrong username and password".
I tried resetting the router with a pin in the little hole like it was suggested but still the same. Couldn't even connect to the hub to change the username and password.

Briggers
Dabbler

@Gandalf wrote:

Apologies for the inconvenience caused, let us know how it goes.

Not really an inconvenience, just means ive got to clean down the side of my computer desk now Smiley
I just feel it's more of a waste of time coming to my home, as it would be an amazing coincidence for something to have gone wrong here in the couple of hours that i was switched over, for it not to work as good as with BT.

npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

@Briggers wrote:

I couldnt get the old router to work. Just kept giving me a Red B(solid not flashing) which apparently means "You’ve tried to log in with the wrong username and password".

This may help, the instructions are the same for the BT HH5.
https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/Do-want-to-use-a-BT-Homehub-3-or-2-on-Plusnet-ADSL-or-FTTC/m...

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Just a thought...

I wonder if Briggers line had the same "fault" with BT and it is not related to the observed reduction in down stream synch speed?

I assume it is possible that the line previously had (downstream) G.INP applied and that due to the port reset, whilst being switched to PN, downstream G.INP has been lost?

HH 5a's & PN Hub Ones should support downstream G.INP

Anecdotally, it appears that it can take a few weeks for DLM to decide to switch G.INP back on...

Richard

Briggers
Dabbler

Just got a call that the bloke is on his way, so i wake up(late night Smiley ) and check my pc, and amazingly the line speed is now up to 68.18Mbps.

Coincidence?

Briggers
Dabbler

@RichardB wrote:

Just a thought...

I wonder if Briggers line had the same "fault" with BT and it is not related to the observed reduction in down stream synch speed?

I assume it is possible that the line previously had (downstream) G.INP applied and that due to the port reset, whilst being switched to PN, downstream G.INP has been lost?

HH 5a's & PN Hub Ones should support downstream G.INP

Anecdotally, it appears that it can take a few weeks for DLM to decide to switch G.INP back on...

Richard

That just went way over my head.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion

Sorry about the jargon used but it would take too long to explain all the terms.

Those (like me) that are interested will look the terms up.

Due to the how Openreach's Dynamic Line Management (DLM) can work, it is technically possible to loose circa 10 Mbps line synch when moving from one ISP to another. Openreach's fibre equipment is reset during the move and starts the DLM process from scratch.

It all depends on the telephone line quality, line length and local electrical noise levels. 

Richard

Briggers
Dabbler

Thanks Richard. 

All sorted now.

So the engineer came. I have 2 sockets in my house, one in the bedroom which i never use and one in the living room which i use for phone and BB. It turns out the one in the bedroom is the main socket, and there was noise on that one.
So he's fitted a new socket in the living room and made that one the main socket.
He also went to the cabinet and said some things needed replacing, something had some corrosion on, due to age probably, he said. Also the speed being sent to the cabinet was just at about 80, a little over, so by the time it then got to my house its lost some speed. Something like that Smiley

Like i said he replaced some stuff and he said thats now getting about 100Mb sent to it and now im syncing at 80Mb.
I did a BTWS speed test and that came back at 75Mb.

So all is good, thanks to the engineer, and thanks to everyone for their help.

Oh nearly forgot, the funny thing was he told me on his orders it said just to make sure i was getting more than just 64Mb, although my estimated minimum was 74Mb, who knows why.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion

Good to hear that it is sorted.

The maximum synch speed a VDSL line supports changes with the "electrical" environment in the vicinity of the line.

Bad connections, electrically noisy power supplies etc can reduce synch speeds. As BT do not know the local environment for each line they have an acceptable range of speeds for each line, in the case of your line it would appear to be 64 Mbps to 80 Mbps.

In addition, individual line synch speeds often drop as more customers are connected to a fibre cabinet. This is caused by "crosstalk" between the telephone wires. Crosstalk being the term for small amounts of other customers VDSL signals coupling onto "your" line. The more VDSL/Fibre customer the more coupling and more electrical noise.

Regards

Richard

Briggers
Dabbler

RichardB wrote:in the case of your line it would appear to be 64 Mbps to 80 Mbps.

In that case they shouldn't quote a minimum line speed of 74.1 Smiley