cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello again but unfortunately i have an issue

Trickz
Hooked

Hello again but unfortunately i have an issue

I’ve recently swapped back from bt back to Plusnet fibre and in the last 14 days my connection has been brilliant,the transfer was effortless and generally I’m getting exactly the same speeds than previously,but the last 3 nights between 8pm-9pm my router has just lost connection completely,flashing Amber with the red internet icon flashing,this happens for almost an hour but without any warnings ie no slowdown in speed etc or high latency,then as soon as I get a blue light it’s straight back up to speed.This wouldn’t bother me too much if it wasn’t at that time but my children are doing there homework at this time which is online based.
15 REPLIES 15
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Re: Hello again but unfortunately i have an issue

Welcome back.

Does this happen with the router plugged directly into the test socket, that's the one you find if you take the front off the BT master socket?

Is there anything being switched on in your house at this time that could be injecting noise into your electricity supply?

Do you still have your BT router? If so try using that, you will find setting instructions here. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85... or here. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Use-a-BT-Hub-2-3-4-or-5-on-a-Plusnet-connection/m-p/1192234#...

If you have a Smarthub 6 it's a better device than the Hub One. If you are on ADSL and have been given a Hub Zero (2704n) then any of the later Home Hubs are better.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Trickz
Hooked

Hello and thankyou for your response,yes I am connected at the master socket but I will try with my bt hub 6 as I have the Plusnet hub one I think which is the bt hub5?
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@Trickz wrote:
I have the Plusnet hub one I think which is the bt hub5?

Yes, the Hub One is a BT HH5a with in a different case and Plusnet firmware

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, 

I've just had a look into this and diagnostics don't show anything obvious, however I would try following some troubleshooting checks next: https://goo.gl/Rnae7N beyond that it would be a good idea to report a fault over at http://faults.plus.net let us know how you get on. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
xxtrickzxx
Grafter

So far it seams to be holding up tonight,first time I’ve seen it drop down so low but it’s just holding above my minimum speed so if it carries on like this I’m happy 🤘
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @xxtrickzxx, thanks for your post.

We're glad to hear that your issues now seemed to be resolved.

If those speeds do drop again, please let us know.

Trickz
Hooked

It has been good until tonight when it went off again for 27 mins from 20:32

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @Trickz

Thanks for coming back to us. You can find an image of the last seven days of your connection here. As you can see, the drop we've detected matches up with the time you've noted. Other than that though (again, as you've noted) the connection has remained stable.

It's tricky to diagnose intermittent issues such as this one - certainly there are no external faults present which would cause this and the brief downtime you experienced on Saturday could have been related to any number of factors.

At this stage, I would recommend keeping your router in the test socket as per here and monitoring for further drops. If the issue becomes more commonplace, we'll be able to raise this to our suppliers to investigate further - as things stand, I wouldn't do this now as it's likely an engineer will attend and tell you everything is OK - obviously, we don't want to waste your time or run the risk of you being charged for an unnecessary call out.

Let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

Dave

Trickz
Hooked

Thanks yes I’m in the test socket, if you see my connection drop twice on the 18th late on that was me,I’ve swapped to the Bt hub 6 I had collecting dust,see how this goes🤘

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi Trickz, 

I've just run a fresh set of diagnostics and everything looks fine according to those. 

Here's a view of the connection logs for the past few days, drop us a reply back here after a few days if you'd like us to check that again:

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Trickz
Hooked

I think the hub 6 is doing its thing,ie I think I would be disconnected by now as while I’m writing this I have a connection speed of 4.7 mb! Not good a know and well short of my minimum 20.5mb but I think it’s looking like a contention issue? Just did a quick Bt speed test results below.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi there, have speeds remained low or have you seen a change since then? 

Also were you connected over WiFi when you ran the test? If so it would be a good idea to test speeds over a wired connection to see how they compare. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Trickz
Hooked

Hi by 10pm it was back over 20.5mb then by 11 it was back to 36mb,yes it was only on Wi-fi but I was right next to the router and because I’ve separated the 2.4 and 5 channels it’s only my tablet on the 5 ghz,look I know I may have lost a little without a Lan but not 30mb.
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @Trickz, thanks for your post.

I've run additional testing this morning and it looks like the cabinet you're connected to has been oversubscribed, resulting in your speeds being reduced by the congestion.

I've spoken with Openreach directly and they've agreed to move your connection to a less congested circuit. They'll update us within the next 48 working hours - at which point we'll update you directly.

We're sorry for any inconvenience caused.