cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre download speed is lower since my upgrade last week??

RoryClark

Fibre download speed is lower since my upgrade last week??

I've had Plusnet unlimited fibre about 2 1/2 years, it's always been good on the download speed side - mid 30s Mbps.

A week ago, being out of contract I upgraded to unlimited fibre extra. The next day I get an email saying my product change is complete, so I go and check a few broadband speed test websites. Most of them report i'm getting about 15-2Mbs download, but close to 20Mbs upload. Higher upload tells me that the switch has at least partially occured, I guess.

I'm on a fast windows PC connected to the router via ethernet. I turned off antivrus and closed other windows. Still the same.

I check my PlusNet Hub One, it says my line is connected at 79.9Mbs downstream and 20Mbs upstream.

So I left it over the next 4 days to see if it was the dynamic line management thing.

But still the same.

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate (Mbps)Downstream Handback
Threshold(Mbps)WBC FTTC Availability DateWBC SOGEA Availability DateLeft in JumperHighLowHighLow       VDSL Range A (Clean)VDSL Range B (Impacted)

Available

Available

--

Available

Available

--

So far so good. Then I run the BT wholesale performance test:

Basic Performance Test

Time Stamp Latency Download Upload
Monday 4 May 2020 | 20:1:57 47 Ms 18.01 Mbps 20.49 Mbps
Advanced Performance Test
Download Test
Download speed achieved during the test was 18.01 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is  40-73.7 Mbps
Your DSL Connection Rate: 0 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM),0 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
For your connection, the maximum achievable download speed is 73.7 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is 73.7 Mbps
Upload Test
Upload speed achieved during the test was 20.49 Mbps
For your connection, the maximum achievable upload speed is 20 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is 20 Mbps

Ok, it seems clear that the line can hack it, it must just be a configuration issue. So I submitted a fault, then checked again today (2 days later) - no response. But I accidentally tapped "close ticket" on my phone (d'oh) so I came to the Plus net website to submit a new one.... but the fault wizard isn't accepting new faults... so I thought I'd try on here in the hope this will get seen.

I've run another BTW perf test (2 days later, different time of day) just to confirm it's not a time of day issue.

Basic Performance Test
Time Stamp Latency Download Upload
Wednesday 6 May 2020 | 10:28:25 34 Ms 22.07 Mbps 18.91 Mbps
Advanced Performance Test
Download Test
Download speed achieved during the test was 22.07 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is  40-73.7 Mbps
Your DSL Connection Rate: 0 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM),0 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
For your connection, the maximum achievable download speed is 73.7 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is 73.7 Mbps
Upload Test
Upload speed achieved during the test was 18.91 Mbps
For your connection, the maximum achievable upload speed is 20 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is 20 Mbps

Any thoughts anyone? I know i'm in the first 10 days but... it's not gone above 20Mbps download in the last week (I've checked every day) so it feels like a little more than the line management stuff that happens at the start of a new connection.

Also... the 20Mbps download IS reliable, so I'm better off than those with no broadband (I understand I might not be a priority).

Thanks everyone

3 REPLIES 3
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Re: Fibre download speed is lower since my upgrade last week??

@RoryClark  Welcome to the forum.

Have you eliminated this being a problem with your internal wiring by taking the front off the BT master socket, you may have to remove two screws, newer ones just clip on? Plug a filter in the test socket, which you will find inside, connect this to your router and see if this makes any difference to your speed. If you leave your set up like this Plusnet can test your line properly.

If you have a Plusnet hub it might also be worth doing a factory reset on this by pushing a paperclip or similar in the reset hole and keeping the switch closed for at least 20 seconds. It will take 10 minutes or so to set itself up again.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Baldrick1  It doesn't look like a line problem, the modem is in sync at full speed (79.9/20)Mbps.

@RoryClark Have you paid PlusNet for a Static IP address? If so this could be a problem with the PlusNet profile called "current line speed" which can sometimes get stuck on a default of about 20Mbps You can see this on your Member account on the Broadband tab. There are reports that this can also affect users on a dynamic IP but this should not normally happen. You will need staff help to fix this and they are not doing much for speed faults at the moment, but just asking you to raise a fault online.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@RealAleMadrid 

Good point, I obviously need to get my brain in gear better.

I agree it could be a screwed up Plusnet profile if @RoryClark  has a fixed IP address but I would still try a router factory reset to see if it made any difference,

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'