cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre constantly dropping out

thedandycock

Fibre constantly dropping out

I really hope someone can help me, and take into account that I'm not particularly tech savvy. So, we have a pub and when people come in they want to use the wifi. We were on Plusnet business broadband and never had a connectivity problem, every now and again we had to reset the router but that was about it. We have since upgraded to fibre broadband and for the first two weeks or so it seemed to be fine, but then troubles began. The router is in the same place as when it was just regular broadband, in fact nothing has changed at all except the fact that we now have fibre...however unless you are pretty much sat on the router a mobile device will connect then drop off then you have to connect again but it'll only stay on the network for, I'd say, a minute tops. To say our customers are getting irritated is an understatement but it also means that we can't connect to the internet on our phones or tablet unless we come down into the bar. Now, what is strange is that my laptop is fine, as is the PS3 & 4. So i'm at a bit of a loss really. I've changed the router channel to see if that made a difference and it didn't. I'm quite prepared to get a better router if that'll solve the problem but what I don't want to spend the money on a decent router and it not to make a blind bit of difference.
Advice please
Amy
4 REPLIES 4
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Fibre constantly dropping out

Hi there,
The router is in the same place as when it was just regular broadband, in fact nothing has changed at all except the fact that we now have fibre...

From what you've said you should be able to resolve this with a few changes to the router settings.
Don't worry it isn't technical and we have step by step guides to follow:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/wireless_broadband/wireless_signal.shtml
This sometimes needs to be done when installing a new router as signals from surrounding WiFi networks can sometimes interfere, the above page should guide you through finding a way around that.
let us know how you get on.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
thedandycock

Hi
Thanks for replying. I'd already changed the channel on the router to one that is less used by surrounding networks. The phone line is behind a large bottle fridge in the pub so I unplugged the phone, which is next to the router and BT box, from the power and the line but it didn't make any difference. We can't put the router anywhere else as we only have the one line into the building. I don't understand how there can be so much difference. I really don't know what else to do. In further news are there any problems today because now the laptop keeps dropping out as well
CrystalJayme
Grafter

Could the fridge cause interference if your using wifi? I hear that cordless phones and microwaves can so maybe its not a good idea to have the router on top of the fridge.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I'd definitely not advise having the router behind a fridge or any other electrical device.
Even when not powered up it will interfere with WiFi signal strength.
If there's space above the fridge for the router to sit or space on the wall for you to wall mount it I'd seriously consider it.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team