cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Intermittent Dropout

PHTC

Fibre Intermittent Dropout

I don't know if this is a Plusnet or underlying Infrastructure issue but I keep having random disconnects from the internet. My internal network is fine as I can access devices on my LAN but any external connections fail for around 30-60s then returns automatically.

This has been happening intermittently for the last few months but has been awful today. Happened around a dozen times and is extremely frustrating as it drops my VPN connection for work and have to reconnect.

Anyone have any similar issues?
7 REPLIES 7
Ktharland

Re: Fibre Intermittent Dropout

Yes - it’s been so bad today I’ve reverted to using a data dongle to use my laptop to work from home. All mobile devices and laptop disconnect constantly and then won’t recognise the password for a while before randomly logging back on. I watched my brand new iPhone log on and off constantly, it is driving us all absolutely mad.

Weve just switched from sky and I’m really disappointed. We have gone from snail like speeds to constant dropouts. I just want something fast and consistent. 

PHTC

Good to know it's not just me. For what it's worth I never used to have issues so I'm guessing it's extra usage due to the current situation. The dropouts today we're ridiculous though.
yarmon1

Hello, I raised this issue about a month ago the link to the thread is here  https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Frequent-disconnections-of-Internet/m-p/1735472#M11172..., I was advised to raise a fault call which leads you back to the troubleshooter which I have tried several times with no luck. I have also noticed that twice this week about the same time 10PM the router flashes amber and seem to be resetting itself eventfully going back to blue. On both occasions I was not logged on to the internet and just noticed the router colour changing very odd.

I was with Plusnet several years ago and their service was good I left them for one year as they would not price match at the end of the contract and now I am back with them but the connection now is much worse. i think it may be the router or the firmware, my daughter lives close and she is with Plusnet and does not have the same problems. getting someone to realise and respond is the issue the same excuse seems to be Covid 19 and the lack of support available.

PHTC

Thanks for the reply and thread, I'll raise a call with them. I don't actually use Plusnets Modem/Router, I use my own and see the same dropouts which I never used to have (I've used this modem router with Plusnet without issue for about 2 years). The router is running latest firmware and is complaining that the DSL line is unstable.

Will see what they say via a ticket. Thanks.
jandcholmes

Yeah I am also getting the same intermittent dropouts of my connection, and like you I use VPN for work and when the connection drops everything freezes for at least 10 mins after which is quite frustrating!

Have you also noticed a drop in your internet speed recently too? I was in the past averaging around 25Mb download, but currently it seems to max out at around 12Mb which is also frustrating.

WillF
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 22

Hi everybody! I've taken a look at all your accounts and actioned these as necessary. @jandcholmes, you've already got an open fault with us. @PHTC, @yarmon1 and @Ktharland, I've emailed you all with some further troubleshooting steps. If anybody has any further issues, please raise a fault with us at faults.plus.net

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will
 Plusnet Help Team
yarmon1

Hi my speed seems ok just ran a test and it was

Ping Download Upload
16 ms 27.81 Mb/s 4.85 Mb/s

although some times just before it drops  it  goes very slow, very  frustrating as there is no warning or apparent reason. I will see what the support team can suggest, running  tests all pass ok when the connection is up running finding, the cause of the dropout is the issue which seems random.