Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Broadband speed lowered to 28MB/s

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Fibre Broadband speed lowered to 28MB/s

Those results get logged and Plusnet have access to them:)

And the results will help whilst investigating your issue:)

edit. Hopefully @Anoush will either reply here or contact you in due course

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Are you using a wired or a wireless connection?

LEK
Dabbler

Wireless - however as mentioned in my previous replies I've also done a test via the ethernet cable.

Liam.

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

And the tap test where you changed the login of your router to the test login also gave you the same speeds?

DS
Seasoned Champion

You might be having issues with the WiFi....

The test you carried out earlier today, was it over Ethernet?

(I wrote this yesterday- "Another thing is, if you're connected via WiFi then try via Ethernet").

If today's BT speed test was via WiFi, repeat it as soon as you can but over Ethernet.

LEK
Dabbler

I'm adamant that this isn't a WiFi issue, as I've done various speed tests on both my phone and also on the PC - both devices reveal near enough the same lowered speeds at any time of the day and also especially at any point of where I am around the house when testing on the phone, the WiFi signal on both devices are always either very good or excellent. Both devices as well are running on the routers 5Ghz / dual band WiFi channels (I would also test on the 2.4Ghz WiFi protocol but as some of you may know - 2.4Ghz itself is limited to around a 30MB/s download speed anyway).

I haven't tested over Ethernet today but I know that there isn't much point, taking into account that I did it yesterday and the symptoms today also mirror last night's testing. I had a very similar speed issue in the past with a previous ISP who actually determined in the end that the issue was something down to the Openreach box in my previous area (after many weeks of them dragging their heels with this fault). Another thing to note which I haven't done yet is to try out the master socket itself behind the actual phone socket.

Liam.

DS
Seasoned Champion

You could well be right that it isn't a wifi issue ... I did notice you wrote "I've also tried the internet via ethernet cable and it's still the same" but earlier another user asked Are you using a wired or a wireless connection? and you replied Wireless - however as mentioned in my previous replies I've also done a test via the ethernet cable.

It was at this point I thought it was best to double check that all the posted results are when using Ethernet, because if Plusnet raise a fault and BT send an Openreach guy out to you, but he finds nothing wrong (as did Anoush yesterday), and he proves it's either a wifi issue or another issue from the master socket then it will be you that has to pay!!!

Unfortunately for us, the likes of BT don't care if it's not their fault and they probably wouldn't send anybody out, even if Plusnet begged them, if any of the results sent in or posted on a forum had been produced over WiFi:( (BT do cover their bottoms by stating on their speed test site that all tests must be carried out over Ethernet)

Again, it's down to us to prove it's not our fault from the master socket too. Trying from the test point would be beneficial in trying to locate where or how the issue is being caused.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@LEK wrote:

(I would also test on the 2.4Ghz WiFi protocol but as some of you may know - 2.4Ghz itself is limited to around a 30MB/s download speed anyway).

I certainly didn't.

In any case 30 MB/s = 240Mb/s which is a lot faster than your router is capable of on the VDSL side.

LEK
Dabbler

DS - This is exactly why I always test all of my equipment before raising a fault query of any kind, as like you say in this case if Openreach do come out and discover that it's either down to my equipment or do not find a fault then I'll have to pay.

I also know what you mean about Openreach in general with getting them to come out, I had a scenario a couple of years ago when I was with BT when I moved into a previous property and it took them weeks to sort out the new Fibre line out as the existing line in the property was over 40 years old and needed replacing physically outside as well as inside, around 6 weeks later after countless phone calls made to BT, false promises on their behalf and numerous no shows made by Openreach - I sent an email to BT's CEO one evening documenting the fiasco... The very next morning I had a phone call from a very senior individual at BT offering her apologies for the complete mishap and instructed FOUR Openreach vans to come to the property immediately, to which they all turned up two hours later and finally got me up and running within a couple of hours. So it does pay to go to the top like this when you need to get something like this sorted Smiley

Browni - This has always been the case for me when I was on BT as well and trying to use the old 78MB Fibre connection on my old phone which was only 2.4Ghz compatible over the WiFi & I was always limited to around 30MB/s. Fast forward to when I moved property not long ago and upgraded from 40MB to 79MB on Plusnet and I had to wait for the new router to arrive before I could first make use of the up to 79MB speed as the old router was only 2.4Ghz compatible. 

Liam.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

30 MB/s = 240 Mb/s
DS
Seasoned Champion

Always test

Openreach do not come out

Try to blame my equipment

"There is no problem", but they then 'find' it on their equipment

They leave a cable for their JDSU Tester here - 4 years later and I still have it because they cba to either fetch it or send a returns bag

Phone cable 40+ years old  - not replaced  - but also around 1000 mtrs of aluminium Cry

Countless calls to BT

email to CEO

Kick up the ears (<- spelt the same) from management  and various improvements etc

LEK
Dabbler

To be fair to Plusnet they have been pretty reliable for me since I signed up 2.5 years ago, the only grumble I had with them was when I first signed up and it came to installing the line in a previous property - first scheduled engineer visit never turned up on the day as the engineer in question couldn't locate my block of flats (despite the name of the flats clearly being on the front of the building & the building itself being located on a main road).

Second engineer visit a week later, showed up first thing and installed the line within half an hour and rushed off without letting my flat mate know. Fast forward a few hours later when I arrived home to find that I couldn't get the internet to work in any way shape or form at all. After a couple of hours of fault finding, researching & scratching my head I then called Plusnet up only to then find out that the engineer apparently didn't alert their activation's office upon the installation being complete to give the green light to the broadband going live... my response was "Isn't it down to the engineer to ensure that the new connection is working before he leaves the premises?" They kind of agreed and apologised.

Liam.