cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Degraded Speeds over period of 15 months

enclave08421_

Degraded Speeds over period of 15 months

Against my better judgement, I decided to renew our contract with Plusnet - specifically the Unlimited Fibre Extra package.

When our Broadband was initially activated in the late October, early November period of 2018, I was very satisfied with my speed (70 megabits).

Between activation and now, the speed has been slowly degrading, from the initial 70 now to 48, as a result I am not satisfied with this speed and would like for you to run diagnostics on my line. I am unhappy with this decline in speed and hope that raising it to your attention can perhaps solve the problem, otherwise I will be exploring alternative contracts that don't throttle speeds!

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Re: Degraded Speeds over period of 15 months

@enclave08421_ 

The tone of your post suggests that you think that Plusnet is deliberately throttling your speed. This is not something that happens.

It would be helpful if you provided more information, for example, what is your minimum guaranteed speed? This would have been given when you started the contract. Also how are you measuring your speed? It is important that this test is done with a computer directly connected to your router via an Ethernet cable. This is required to diagnose whether you have a network or wireless problem.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

enclave08421_

firefox_w5sOrp6Vgq.pngfirefox_cFp68BmmIO.pngfirefox_hbVNV9tVks.png

These are the speeds between activation and now, the minimum being 40MBPS but the fact that my speed has degraded in the past 15 months indicates that it either contradicts your point regarding throttling or there is a fault on the line, something I would've made a ticket or live chatted for but those services seem to be defunct.

Edited: All of the tests in the screenshots were conducted using a PC connected to Ethernet.

KatieC
Pro
Fixes: 11

Hi @enclave08421_

I've tested your line and see the sync rate is currently 49.8MMbps on the downstream. I can also confirm that we don't throttle lines.

As I can't find any obvious faults on the line, we ask you to check your test socket as shown here, and confirm if the speed does/doesn't increase. If it does, then your internal wiring may be the cause of the issue and require attention. Should the speed remain slower than you've previously experienced, we'd ask that Openreach take a look at the line for you. As you're within estimate they might not be able do much, but it's worth a go.

Please let us know if you have any further questions!

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Katie C
 Plusnet Help Team