Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection Slowed by 20mbps

jan
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Connection Slowed by 20mbps

Regarding what the line could support - he said it was one of the best test results he had seen, he wasn't suggesting that there was currently any product available that would provide those speeds, but he said there are some new technologies in the pipeline that when available ,my line would support the highest available speeds.
The test results on my ticket seems to indicate no crosstalk...

KBD
Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0003
Description No problem found, OAM test is not currently supported on this line.
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 55.2 Mbps
Upstream Speed 19.8 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Interleaving On
Time Stamp 2015-03-31T13:45:00

My main complaint is that I generated the fault because my speed had dropped from 73mbps to 55mbps This was enough of a drop to generate a fault.
To then receive the response - "your line is stable and your speed is great, the issue is resolved"  when I am now getting 5mbps less than when I reported the fault seems utterly ridiculous!

dick:quote
jan
Rising Star

Can you please ask support to review my ticket and at the very least explain how a drop from 73 to 55 mbps can be considered a fault, but a further drop of 5mbps to 50mbps can be considered a satisfactory resolution?
Estimated line speed:
    There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.
Current line speed:
    53.2 Mb
jan
Rising Star

Can I expect a response to this or my ticket or should I generate a new fault now that my connection is even slower than before I raised the original fault?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Jan,
I agree that we should take another look at this for you.
Bear with us and a member of our faults team will get back to you soon.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jan
Rising Star

Thank you Adam.
PS. I was thinking of turning off all my kit overnight. I see from the Test results that DLM seems to have now kicked in on my line - it never has before as far as I am aware, I don't know if this is a result of the engineer visit or something else.
Will I do my current situation any harm if I turn everything off overnight?
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

Profile Name  0.128M-80M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Interleaving On

Having quickly scanned through the thread, I don't believe you have mentioned which modem you are using for this connection.
The quoted figures indicate that G.INP has been enabled at your cabinet, and if your modem's firmware can't cope with that, you'll see a significant drop in synch rate as a consequence. There's another thread somewhere about the very same issue.
jan
Rising Star

Neither the engineer or plusnet asked about which modem I have.  You would think they would ask or mention it if it was an important factor.
Anyway I have had a look and it says Huawei on the bottom.
[edit] It looks like the fibre cab is also a Huawei too
jan
Rising Star

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_

Any estimate of how soon? I first raised this issue on 24/03/2015.
It seems to be taking an awful long time between each communication.
jan
Rising Star

D'oh!
Sorry, I accidentally closed the question on the website when I was checking to see if anything had been updated. I can't find anyway to undo that. Is someone able to undo my mistake?
ericgripp
Grafter

Quote from: jan
Neither the engineer or plusnet asked about which modem I have.  You would think they would ask or mention it if it was an important factor.
Anyway I have had a look and it says Huawei on the bottom.
[edit] It looks like the fibre cab is also a Huawei too

Hi Jan
Id ask plusnet to replace the HUAWEI openreach modem with one that has correct firmware. It could be you have the HUAWEI HG612 on a HUAWEI cab with G.INP enabled, but unless the HUAWEI is on firmware B030SP08 or v30.08 the HUAWEI will still be restricting your line.
its being reported that the following firmware's
B027SP06 or v27.06
B028SP10 or v28.10
B030SP06 or v30.06
Will not work correctly with G.INP. If PlusNet are following these threads, please raise this with BT.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

@jan
We cannot re-open a closed ticket for you, but we see your new ticket and will reference the original so as to continue investigation. I've also raised how it's so easy to close tickets via the portal.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
jan
Rising Star

ok, thanks Tony
jan
Rising Star

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_

What SLA are the faults team working to?  It has been 16 days  since you posted this and I have heard nothing.
wilcox20

Had similar problems and aggravation / engineers visit some time ago.  After logging into windows in safe mode I uninstalled  programs one by one doing a speed test after each unistallation in my case uninstalling and then reinstalling Trusteer Rapport (supplied by many online banks)  solved  the problem instantly.  This program had been installed for months before and after switching to fibre before  suddenly giving probs
. If you have this installed it maybe worth trying   -  or you may find that it is another program in your case.  Good  luck
jan
Rising Star

So here's the crappy resolution to my problem.
Let's recap...
Solid 73 - 76mbps throughput for 16 months or so
Sudden speed drop to 54mbps
Enough below line estimate to raise a fault
Support fiddle with something their end  - throughput raised to 60mbps - problem fixed apparently
I wasn't happy - engineer sent.
Said my line was excellent and should be operating at max dl / ul
Speed drops to 55mbps - Plusnet support says "your speed is great" problem fixed
I say eh? This is now the speed that it was when I raised the error.
Plusnet fiddle with line throughput goes to 64mbps,
Support then tell me that the estimate for my line is now 60mbps and because I am getting 64mbps everything is great.
Now my speed is 54mbps, but presumably not enough below my estimate to raise a fault.
No investigation of g.inp or my modem model or firmware.
No response to the engineer saying that my line was excellent and that it was plusnet slowing it down.
So if your speed drops, they just drop the estimate until your new reduced speeds are no longer considered a fault.
Latency now seems all over the place, websites pausing or not loading CSS etc... the connection feels awful
Plusnet support is terrible.