cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buffering with full speed? YouTube, Plex BBC

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Buffering with full speed? YouTube, Plex BBC

The packet loss when pinging  ???.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk  is irrelevant.

The ONLY packet loss that matters are the first and last hops on the traceroute.

If the first and last hops have zero loss, then anything in-between has no bearing on your YouTube streaming issue.

growlingb3
Dabbler

Thanks for the advice, I just play at this tech stuff! 😛

Interesting how the lowering in ping response/packet loss coincides with the issue becoming less prevalent don't you think?

sgreener
Grafter

Thank you!

Ping directly and I get 100% packet loss. That would be last hop... then what?

Been putting up with this for months. Was first ticketed July last year. I’m still waiting for the open ticket to be actioned . 

What would you suggest is causing YT buffering and the likes?... routing issues?

Whatever it is, it’s Plusnet’s problem not mine. I’ve had all kinds of suggestions  put forward regarding what it’s not, but not one helpful one to that state what the issue could be. More importantly what can be done moving forward to correct this.

I’m paying for a headache, tired of it. 

alexpn
Dabbler

The situation has improved, however some videos still buffer a lot for me.

Yorkshirelion
Rising Star

I still don’t have to struggle to find buffering, no improvement for myself. 

growlingb3
Dabbler

BT engineer has verified that the problem is not my local setup or the connection (to no surprise). Since formally reporting the fault yesterday, the problem has eased considerably. Will keep you posted 

iainshamilton
Hooked

Mines also seems to have improved since yesterday

Mikewoodward
Dabbler

Mine is just the same. Very poor internet speed & random YouTube buffering. 

growlingb3
Dabbler

My issue appears to be resolved although it is too early to say for certain.

My guess is that they have fixed/reconfigured something behind the scenes following a flurry of calls early this week. I will report back if the issue resurfaces.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know what was going on last night, but my BQM chart is showing network or exchange congestion for the first time since upgrading to 80/20 FTTC -

TBB BQM 10-Mar-2020.jpg

This is VERY unlikely to be anything to do with my local connection, as my modem stats are normal with no unusual errors in the last 24 hours, my router has an upload QoS rate limiter so it is impossible to saturate my outgoing connection, my router's CPU utilization graph at that time shows the quad-core CPU load idling at less than 2%, and our internet was barely being used as my daughter was revising (from books) for her exams and I was only doing emails, browsing eBay, and little else.

The narrow on-the-hour latency peaks are my SamKnows Whitebox doing background automated speed tests, as part of my long term broadband monitoring.

I'm not too bothered if this was just a one off, but I'll keep an eye on future evenings for any signs of congestion.  Having said that, this morning visiting websites for the first time seem to be slightly more sluggish than usual, perhaps I'll try a network reboot to establish a new PPP connection and see if things improve.

InterZoom
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I don't have one to share these days, but it looks like there's still a reasonable collection of Plusnet graphs here for comparison.

---
Troubleshooting:
The Limitations of Traceroute & Ping
Latency: Connection "fast" but internet sluggish? Bufferbloat FAQ
Black Holes: Worth noting that the Plusnet Hub One router has an MTU of 1488 bytes.
sgreener
Grafter

I received an email response from PN regarding my issues On this subject.

The call handler when raising the ticket reported slow speeds which is not helpful. I have no slow speed issues.

The tested my speed and found no issues. Because of this they’ve closed the ticket.

This is not what I reported the them. Clearly the notes on the ticket have NOT been read.

So, my call today to PN is to raise a complaint. Ive endured this for sometime now. 

Over the past year this internet service has destroyed a lifetime of online gaming. I’m not able to always obtain and maintain a secure connection. My email client times out repeatedly when syncing with data centre. Streaming services such as YouTube (heavy user) constantly takes an age to load and buffers. I’m sure there’s other issues but these are the ones I’m most effected by.

Over the last couple of years I’ve contacted PN to let them know the issues and poor service who have done nothing as far as I can see to help the situation. 

Im left with no alternative other that to move my isp. 

Yorkshirelion
Rising Star

My buffering with YouTube seems to be much improved, I haven’t seen any buffering yet this morning although there were complaints last night. ITV player was also buffering last night for some reason. Hopefully at least the YouTube issue is being resolved. Not that we have any official confirmation, that would be too helpful. 

InterZoom
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I wonder whether the issue has been to do with Plusnet's core routers and the UDP MTU for Google's Maglev load balancer.

---
Troubleshooting:
The Limitations of Traceroute & Ping
Latency: Connection "fast" but internet sluggish? Bufferbloat FAQ
Black Holes: Worth noting that the Plusnet Hub One router has an MTU of 1488 bytes.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

Hi everyone. Sorry for the late staff response in this long thread and you've had problems streaming. I'm not aware of any acknowledged issues, but feel free to shout up if you're still having issues, and I'll be happy to investigate further.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet