cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any way for customer to check sync speed?

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Re: Any way for customer to check sync speed?

Thanks @prothed, let us know how you get on with it.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
prothed
Dabbler

Hmm - did the 'factory reset' a couple of hours ago.

It did reset - it sat for a few minutes with the little circle of blue dots going round, then switched to the main page and connected as 'setup@plusdsl' for several minutes (I went for tea), and when I came back it was logged in with my own account.

Then I restored my configuration settings.

But the firmware doesn't seem to have upgraded.  The router status still says -

Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.259 | Last updated Unknown

and DNS still doesn't work.

Is there any way of triggering the update manually, so that it can be seen?

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @prothed I've sent off a request to see if we can get you the firmware updated for you. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@LaurenB The OP already has a later firmware version than the one you mentioned so the hub is not going to update. I can't offer any advice about the DNS problem.Sad

Tags (1)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@prothed wrote:

After the router had been on for an hour or so, it appeared to stop forwarding any DNS requests from clients and consequently b*g**ering up just about everything.

I am working around this by manually setting up a DNS server (1.1.1.1) on every client - but this is a pain and defeats the object of DHCP.

I see there are a number of forum posts regarding the same problem so it appears to be a failing with the hub firmware.

Sorry to hear you're experiencing problems. I'm only aware of the post here, if you know of any others, perhaps you can point me in their direction?

If you're able to reliably replicate the problem, then there's some info on that thread I've linked to ^ if you fancy helping us get to the bottom of things?

@RealAleMadrid is right, the latest firmware builds are 4.7.5.1.83.8.259 and 4.7.5.1.83.8.259.1.1. Factory resetting your device isn't going to give you a newer build, and I don't believe there's anything implemented in 1.1 that would help you here Sad

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

prothed
Dabbler

These were top of the list from google -

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/HubOne-firmware-issue-with-DNS/td-p/1509006
https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/DNS-problems-on-my-router/td-p/1465357
https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/Plusnet-s-own-DNS-servers/td-p/1414988
https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-To-The-Premises-trial/DNS-issue/td-p/1515507

The problem is repeatable.

If I use DHCP and ping (say) www.google.com, then I get 'ping request could not find host...'

If I ping 216.58.208.164 then it works.

If I manually set the DNS server to 1.1.1.1 on the client then the problem is immediately fixed.

This is using a Win 7 client with ethernet to the router, but exactly the same happens with wireless clients.

prothed
Dabbler

After a week I had a reply from PN saying 'there are no known faults with this router' so just carry on.   Oh great.

In my quest to get things working I bought (from a well known auction site) a PN Hub One which had been loaded with OpenWRT firmware - thereby allowing access to all the configuration settings.

I entered 1.1.1.1 as the DNS server, connected, and lo and behold it all works.

Gee thanks Plusnet.