cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative Modem/Routers for Fibre - TP-Link?

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Alternative Modem/Routers for Fibre - TP-Link?

No need to apologise, every router is different.
I don't know the TL-WDR3600 but I can give general advice: there is no need to clone any MAC address for a Plusnet connection, though it probably won't do any harm.
The only specific requirement is that the WAN connection is PPPoE then it should accept your Plusnet username (in the format 'username@plusdsl.net') and your password.
If problems continue then I'm sure someone with the same (or similar) router can help.
If necessary try a 'factory reset' and try again.
Beware that connecting can take several minutes so do wait a while before assuming it hasn't connected (more than 10 minutes probably means it has failed though
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

If the 3600 is like the 1043, the status page should provide the WAN detail, including the "connection" type (PPPoE/Dynamic IP/...). That may help with trouble-shooting.
Also, the Network/MAC clone page (in the 1043) will allow you to restore the factory setting for the MAC address.
I am on ADSL, but have used the 1043 with a PPPoE connection by setting the modem/router to "bridge mode" (just to check how easy transfer to fibre would be if I took that option).
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Jamaxx
Dabbler

Anyone have experience of this router?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WD-MY-NET-N900-Dual-Band-Wireless-Cable-Router-New-/111113320826?pt=UK_Com...
Seems like a good price.
Cheers
anthonypaynter
Dabbler

Waiting a few minutes did the trick. I made the mistake of turning off the Technicolor without disconnecting it from the internet, which I think caused the problem.
All sorted now. I've updated with the latest official TP-Link firmware (for now) and configured a guest network. Very pleased so far. Thanks again for the recommendation.
Alsone1
Grafter

Hi,
I have a similar question.
Although I'm looking for a faster modem for normal broadband at the moment, I want one I can also use with fibre in the future given the cost.
I've been looking at the Asus RT-AC66U : https://www.asus.com/Networking/RTAC66U
It seems to get excellent reviews except for price which is a little above the RT-N66U.
It's pretty much the fastest router you can buy from what I can ascertain with 1.75Gbps wireless and 4GB LAN.
I'm not seeing it on the BT site but it could be because its too new.
Can anyone at Plusnet confirm its fibre compatibility for me?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Although I'm looking for a faster modem for normal broadband at the moment, I want one I can also use with fibre in the future given the cost.
The AC66U doesn't have an inbuilt ADSL modem so for normal broadband you will need to connect it via a separate ADSL modem ( or a TG582n in bridge mode ). 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Alsone1
Grafter

Quote from: MisterW
The AC66U doesn't have an inbuilt ADSL modem so for normal broadband you will need to connect it via a separate ADSL modem ( or a TG582n in bridge mode ).  

Ah Ok.
I see that all the RT-N range are also the same.
Back to square one then. Maybe time to look at Cisco / Linksys or the Asus DSL-N55U.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Tp Link do this http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?categoryid=219&model=TD-W8980#over . It has a builtin ADSL modem and can also use one of the LAN ports as a WAN for Fibre. They've been mentioned on a couple of threads on here but I'm not sure if anyone gave a review.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Alsone1
Grafter

Quote from: MisterW
Tp Link do this http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?categoryid=219&model=TD-W8980#over . It has a builtin ADSL modem and can also use one of the LAN ports as a WAN for Fibre. They've been mentioned on a couple of threads on here but I'm not sure if anyone gave a review.

Thanks. I just had a look around fr some review of it.
Couldn't find any professional ones but many customer reports appear poor. Shame because its a nice looking modem.
crazydan7
Dabbler

hi,
i recently got plusnet fibre on the 80 meg package a couple of months back, but would rather use the one router to do everything rather than have the two boxes from both openreach supplying the modem and plusnets technicolour. does the netgear WNDR 3700 do this job or would i still require the modem from openreach in order to use this?
thanks
adam1240
Grafter

k got the 3600 router do anyone know why my speed stuck at 10mb wjhen im on 40?
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I switched to a Asus RT-N66U this week and I followed the advice to 'disconnect' the Technicolor before removing it and the Asus connected to PN in seconds after the username and password was put in. All the other config info was auto detected.
Let's be careful out there !
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Everyone I have seen posting on these forums with a TP-Link Modem/Router has had issues of one sort or another, and the "support" from TP-Link when asked about some of the indecipherable error messages in the logs appears to have been virtually non-existent.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Well, I'm running a TP-Link N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit VDSL2 Modem Router Model No. TD-W9980 and I'm delighted with its performance, and all the other TP-Link gear I have used has been excellent.
@ Mods - why is this thread about Fibre routers in the ADSL forum?
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Jaggies
@ Mods - why is this thread about Fibre routers in the ADSL forum?

Because the thread started in July 2013 when there was just one Broadband forum category.  When the additional Fibre category was added the original category was named ADSL