Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All incoming connections are blocked

FIXED
zopatista
Hooked

All incoming connections are blocked

I have a fixed IP address configured, and have configured my server as accepting all connections via the DMZ configuration in the Plusnet Hub One router (software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.237.2.2). On the server runs a firewall, with several ports opened to accept email, SSH (non-standard port) and IMAPS connections. I run a personal email domain on the server, used by the whole family.

This worked great until very early yesterday morning. No more connections coming in, the firewall is no longer reporting on dropped or accepted connections. This means all my email has stopped flowing. I can't log into the server from the outside world.

I've reset the router, and checked that the firewall configuration has not changed. Because I log all dropped connection attempts, I'm confident that there are simply no more connections are coming in. Using nmap, I can see that the server can be pinged, but connections to the known-open ports simply time out:

nmap -T5 -Pn -sS 84.92.98.170 -p 25,993

What is going on? Is Plusnet filtering traffic to my server now?

To add some urgency: today's A-level results are being emailed to my wife; I do have a MX backup service that'll forward when the server is back up, but this is not the best time to have to wait longer still!

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: All incoming connections are blocked

@zopatista - When you say you have one configured can we assume this to mean you have paid Plusnet for it? Plusnet don't filter traffic like this as far as I know, but if you've not paid for a fixed IP then chances are it has changed via DHCP.

zopatista
Hooked

When you say you have one configured can we assume this to mean you have paid Plusnet for it? 

Yes, I've specifically paid for a fixed IP address. The IP address has not changed.

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Do you know when you ended up on that firmware version?  (I think that's our latest).

@bobpullen Worth a check?

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Fix

The router was updated early hours of the 16th so the time coincides.

Is that nmap to your static IP? I assume the ports are closed if you run a scan here too?

Have you double checked the router config, specifically that it's still set to forward DMZ traffic to the appropriate host?

What happens if you manually forward one of the service ports to the server? Does that service spring to life again?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

zopatista
Hooked

We have ports open again!

Yes, that's my IP address in the nmap command, yes. So the firmware was auto-updated; that sounds a lot like we have a likely culprit!

Have you double checked the router config, specifically that it's still set to forward DMZ traffic to the appropriate host?

I doublechecked that last night, after rebooting the router. The DMZ is forwarding to the correct configured host.

Manually forwarding ports worked. I now have 25 and the non-standard SSH ports open and can connect from the outside again.
I'll play around with the DMZ settings some more tonight, but it looks like the firmware update broke the DMZ. 😕

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@zopatista wrote:

I'll play around with the DMZ settings some more tonight, but it looks like the firmware update broke the DMZ. 😕

Will verify at this side. I really hope it hasn't though Embarrassed

Edit: Struggling to replicate:

1. Port forwarding rule configured to poke a hole through to an FTP server:

sudo nmap -p 21 -sS 51.7.X.X

Starting Nmap 6.47 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2017-08-17 16:51 BST
Nmap scan report for X.X.7.51.dyn.plus.net (51.7.X.X)
Host is up (0.020s latency).
PORT   STATE SERVICE
21/tcp open  ftp

2. Port forwarding rule deleted:

Starting Nmap 6.47 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2017-08-17 16:51 BST
Host is up (0.021s latency).
PORT   STATE    SERVICE
21/tcp filtered ftp

3. DMZ enabled and pointed to the FTP host:

Starting Nmap 6.47 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2017-08-17 16:57 BST
Host is up (0.020s latency).
PORT   STATE SERVICE
21/tcp open  ftp

Huh

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

zopatista
Hooked

I'll I did was set DMZ Enable to Yes, and picked one of the available devices in the Device IP address assigned to DMZ dropdown. That device is the server (connected via ethernet); it is listed by its local DNS name.

There are some discrepancies and weird inconsistencies I'd like to note:

The Home Network - Devices tab view fails to detect any devices:

Plusnet_Hub_Manager_-_Home_Network_-_Devices.png

There are devices, including the server, attached to the wired connections, but are either labeled Unknown or entirely missing from the diagram. As for the wireless side, I'm posting this from a laptop connected to the 5GHz wireless connection but it is not listed in that diagram; there are various other wireless devices similarly not listed. There is an elderly Apple AirPort Extreme connected to Lan1, and it'll sometimes show up, sometimes not; it is the Unknown device above, and when it does show it is listed as Not connected. The server on Lan2 and a corporate VPN device on Lan3 are never shown, but the diagram does show that those ports are active as 1 GB/s connections. Could firewalls on the server and the VPN device be responsible for this discrepancy?

Next, I can disable the DMZ option, re-enable it, and still find my server, named, in the dropdown, even though the devices tab doesn't list it. There is no option to supply an IP address for the DMZ.

The firewall Port Forwarding tab does not list the server, only the Unknown device (the Apple AirPort Extreme). Here there is an option to enter a user-defined IP address.

Another thing of note is that the server in the DMZ is also responsible for handling DHCP. I coupled this with a local DNS server; all devices on the network have long DHCP leases and can be resolved by name.The DHCP server on the Hub One is disabled, and the server has a fixed IP address. So where the server name on the DMZ tab is coming from is not entirely clear; the Hub One has no configuration for a local network DNS server so why does it know the server name still? I did, in the past, have the DHCP option enabled and perhaps the router still has cached the server name?

TLDR: The server only shows up as a named device in the DMZ device selection drop-down, and is unexpectedly named. Nowhere else does the server show up as a device, let alone by name.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the comprehensive info. It's going to take me a while to replicate that set up. I've an Ubuntu box here that I'll install Pi-hole on, enable its DHCP server and disable on the Hub. I'll then have a tinker and see what I can establish.

Did the devices overview definitely work on the previous firmware whilst in this configuration?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

sunwind

Ok, this explains why my Plex server has suddenly decided to stop accepting remote connections. I've been banging my head against the wall all night/day on this.

I use an Asus RT-AC87U router which I place in the Hub Ones DMZ, turn off the Hubs firewall and let my Asus with Asuswrt-merlin do all the work, because for some reason the Hub One has no "modem only" mode this was the only way I could easily avert the 'double-nat' issue. However it seems as of this update something has changed and my work-around no longer seems to, well, work. 

I've checked that the router is still in the DMZ in the Hub One and everything is as it should be but it keeps working only intermittently. Plex will say "Fully accessible outside your network" one minute, then 5 minutes later it'll be inaccessible again. Seems something with the DMZ definitely broke in the update.

zopatista
Hooked

@bobpullen wrote:
Did the devices overview definitely work on the previous firmware whilst in this configuration?

It's been so long since I looked at that output, I really can't remember. Sorry!
It's a credit to how long this setup has Just Worked though. 🙂

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@sunwind wrote:

I've checked that the router is still in the DMZ in the Hub One and everything is as it should be but it keeps working only intermittently. Plex will say "Fully accessible outside your network" one minute, then 5 minutes later it'll be inaccessible again. Seems something with the DMZ definitely broke in the update.

Does the date you started experiencing problems coincide with the date the firmware was upgraded? (the date the image was pushed to your device should be time stamped in the footer of the router configuration pages).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

sunwind

I started experiencing issues yesterday or the day before after I turned the firewall on the Hub One on and then off again (as I let my router handle all that since I place it in the DMZ, and I just wanted to see if plex would still work with the firewall on the Hub One turned on too, but it didn't). Since then I've been having issues despite that being the only change I made, but it doesn't directly coincide with the update:

Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.237.2.2 | Last updated 07/08/17

I've since spent the afternoon reconfiguring my network and after resetting both routers and re-configuring everything+my freenas server plex seems to be able to maintain an outside connection, for now at least, so I'm hoping its resolved, will come back if it continues to have issues, should know by the end of tonight.

Thanks