Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

modem

FIXED
john155
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

modem

Is there any way to be notified if someone tries to access my broadband?

25 REPLIES 25
john155
Rising Star

Re: modem

Fix

Now been answered by the plusnet help team

Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

@john155 wrote:

Is there any way to be notified if someone tries to access my broadband?

It might be helpful to others with the same query, if you actually posted details of what was said, that answered your

question : )

Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
john155
Rising Star

The answer from Plunet was no you can only change passwords which seems silly to me when I want to know if someone is connecting to my wifi connection

Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

@john155 wrote:

The answer from Plunet was no you can only change passwords

I'm not a techie but I'm guessing your wifi connection cannot be used by someone else *unless* they know your password

(so if you change it, theoretically that stops anyone who was using your connection previously).

Thanks for clarifying what PlusNet said, btw.

Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
john155
Rising Star

I'm technical, but even I'm not that sure I know there are ways of getting around many things supposedly protected by password and as WiFi is a stream of data I'm sure it can be hacked quite easily thats why it would be nice to be able to know if anyone tries to connect but its not possible apparently. My concern was my 2 bank accounts where hacked and there is no tie up between them except my wifi as I rarely use online and always keep the 2 accounts separate the only common place there is info for both is my wifi 

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 14

A password of 100-150 characters will slow down the brute force attempts. To deter the dictionary lot ensure no sequence of three or more characters form a word….

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 60

@john155 

You asked about monitoring your WiFi connection. Don't know if the following does this.

If you have 40 or 50 quid to spare and access to a Windows computer you could consider getting a Raspberry PI Zero and running Pi Hole on it. You also need a card reader to be able to flash the Micro SD card with the Pi Hole operating system along with Pi Hole. There are plenty of videos on line on how to do this - I probably still have the ones I used book marked.

Once done, you put the SD card in the Pi and connect it directly to the Router. A bit of configuration later all your internet activity (in and out) is routed through the Pi.

I've attached a screen shot of my PI Hole Dashboard. Note the dot beside Tools - that's telling me someone tried to access my network.

Brian

john155
Rising Star

I won't run windows I use linux Mint which is inherently more secure and certainly suits me better no continual updating that stops you using the pc for hours at a time

bmc
Hero

@john155 

I'm still on Win7 and will proably move to Linux Mint when all else fails. I do have Mint on a separate machine which runs Win7 in a Vitual Window.

As for Pi, you only needs access to a Win machine fo a short period to "flash" the Micro SD card. Once that's done you run everything through a web interface.

Brian

john155
Rising Star

I can flash micro sd's on my linux machine, but to be honest its not the depth of involvement I want I'll just swap passwords regularly but it does mean updating 15 different items every time but I'll do for my sanity

bmc
Hero

@john155 

You may be able to do it with Mint - which I believe is a derivitive of Ubuntu.

Pi Hole Install.JPG

Brian

Edit : Yes it would take a couple of hours to install but once done you more or less forget about it. I try and do a weekly update of the "Blocking Lists" but that's it. The good thing is blocks the majority of Tracking cookies and anythng else that tries to analyse your machine.

john155
Rising Star

yea I'm sure I could but its then another dongle inline I'll live with changing passwords but I don't think they need passwords to stream wifi data I think it can just be received and the searched for sensitive info

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

but I don't think they need passwords to stream wifi data I think it can just be received and the searched for sensitive info

Puzzled by this comment, you need the wifi password to connect to your wireless home network, only a wired connection can you connect without the need of a password.

If you are really bothered about security buy a router which offers 'Access Control' this will allow you to create a whitelist of devices which can connect.

john155
Rising Star

unfortunately not for plusnet you have to use their modem (for want of a better phrase) I assume due to their tie up with BT