Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

logging in to ccgi

stuck
Rising Star

logging in to ccgi

I found this tutorial:
  http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/50
about how to install Gallery  on the CGI server.  I'm a complete novice at twe sites but I have been around PCs for a long time and so wasn't in the least bit phased by the tutorial, it looks straight forward.
When I can to try it though I found I got stuck  very early on, at the bit where it says "log on to the CGI Server using telnet."
When I enter "telnet cshell.plus.net" at a command prompt on my PC it responds with 'invalid command'.
I can use an ftp client (coreFTPlite) and see the cccgi webspace and I can use the client to upload files but how do I run a chmod command?
Please go very sloooooooow and gentle when you reply, I mean think really basic pell everything out.  I'm not stupid but cgi is completely new to me.
stuck
5 REPLIES 5
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: logging in to ccgi

telnet was disabled over a year ago.
You need to extract the full directory structure on you local PC and then upload that.
Alternatively http://community.plus.net/library/tools/using-any-shell-command-in-cron/ gives a method for using cron to unpack the files on the server.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

If you want to unpack an installation file on ccgi you can do it using a bash script as described in this post.
This topic discusses setting the correct permissions on directories and executable files, and provides a script to do this..
David
stuck
Rising Star

Thank you for these hints.  I'm out of monthly allowance right now + I'm only trying this out of curiosity not need, so it may be a while before I get another go at this task.
I'm fairly sure I'll be back, I didn't pick my user name at random  Wink
stuck
Boxersoft
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

> how do I run a chmod command?
I'm not familiar with that FTP client but others I've used (currently FileZilla) provide the means to set file permissions. Try right-clicking a file on the server side and see if you get a popup menu exposing something that looks promising.
stuck
Rising Star

Quote from: Boxersoft
> how do I run a chmod command?
I'm not familiar with that FTP client but others I've used (currently FileZilla) provide the means to set file permissions. Try right-clicking a file on the server side and see if you get a popup menu exposing something that looks promising.

Another helpful hint, thanks.  Yes coreFTPlite does allow me to set file permissions, I stumbled across it when following the hints above about creating and using a permissions.cgi file.
stuck