cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connecting to a work VPN

johnkeev

connecting to a work VPN

Hi,

Wondering if anyone is has had or is experience the same issue as this when trying to connect a work computer to their work VPN via Plusnet.

'The network connection between your computer and the VPN server could not be established because the remote server is not responding. This could be because one of the network devices (i.e. firewalls, NAT, routers etc.) between your computer and the remote server is not configured to allow VPN connections. Please contact your Administrator or your service provider to determine which device may be causing the problem'

I had tried the quick fixes, rebooting router and laptop, leaving router off for 30 mins etc no change. Work IT point to a post on here regarding changing IP address to Static rather than dynamic which I have done but still getting same issue. I have also reduced firewall and safe guard settings but still no luck, Plus net have sent out a engineer to test the line and they have also have even had plus net send out the Hub two router to see if that was the issue but still getting same error message above. 

I can connect to the work VPN via different networks and via mobile hotspot but just not through plusnet, work IT saying you should change network providers and plusnet have no other idea other than via here,

So if anyone has any idea or possibly solutions it would be gratefully received.

Thanks 

9 REPLIES 9
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: connecting to a work VPN

Work IT point to a post on here regarding changing IP address to Static rather than dynamic which I have done but still getting same issue.

I'm afraid that most IT depts seem to take the easy way and refuse to accept it may be their problem.

There's a similar post here https://community.plus.net/t5/Everything-else/VPN-Issue-using-FortiClient/m-p/1901184

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to Everything Else

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

The right approach here is to find your current IP address and then have your VPN provider runs diagnostics on connection attempts from that IP address.

Many ISPs have address ranges sourced from previous owners.

Many network service providers (think email, VPN, finance services) inhibit access from specific territories (notably the USA) ... all too often using very out of date IP address geolocation data.

Check whatsmyipaddress and whereismyipaddress services (do a Google search).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

clcjbnm

Hello John,
We switched from Plusnet Business to Residential last week and since then my wife can't use their company VPN running on Microsoft "Always On VPN".

At the time of the switch we installed the new Plusnet Hub Two router.

This morning I switched back to the old router a Plusnet TG582 + Openreach box, changed the username to the new residential one and the VPN now works fine, as it always has.

So I suspect a problem with the Plusnet Hub Two router.  I've called Plusnet and they've raised a ticket to investigate.

They've asked us to find out if any other employees are on Plusnet, ideally which router they're using and have asked me to try a Plusnet Hub One router which was sent to us ages ago but I never got around to installing. I'll try this on Thursday.

I'll keep you posted.

In the meantime, be interested to know if you're also on a Hub Two router and "Always On VPN"?

Best regards,
Nigel.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@bobpullen Huh

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@johnkeev - so it sounds like you have a problem regardless of the router you are using, correct? Given that you're in dialogue with your work's IT department, perhaps you can ask them to shed any light on whether or not they can see your connection attempts reaching them? I would also suggest completely disabling the Plusnet Firewall and Safeguard temproarily just to cover all angles. Do you know the server address of the VPN end point so we can see if you're able to trace to it? Has it ever worked?

@clcjbnm - your problem sounds different if you've narrowed it to the use of one particular router. I am unaware of any issues affecting AOVPN when using the Hub Two; in fact our corporate VPN is dependent on it and we've thousands of staff using Hub Twos (or an equivalent). There is a 'port clamping' setting in the Advanced Hub Two settings that you could try temporarily enabling, however I'd be surprised if that's has any bearing on an AOVPN connection. As is always the case with VPN issues, we're somewhat limited in what we can do without some co-operation/insight from the administrator of the VPN itself. When switching from Business to Residential your IP address will also have changed. It also probably changed again when disconnecting the Hub Two and connecting the old Technicolor unit i.e. the router switch could well be a red herring and the problem could well be how the VPN administrator is handling traffic from certain IP addresses.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

johnkeev

Hi, Thanks for the advice, I wanted to explore all I could from my side and Plusnet before I when back the work IT. I have tried completing disabling firewall and safeguard but still same result. I do not know the sever address but have emailed the IT department, including this post asking them to explore if they are blocking my IP address for some reason. will update when I get a response.

johnkeev

thanks, I have a fixed IP address and have emailed them to ask if it is blocking it for any reason.

clcjbnm

About a week ago we finally found time to switch back to the Hub Two to run some tests.  Thankfully it's all fine now, so no idea what the original problem was.  It is possible that our company did some routine upgrades on the VPN at their end after we reported the issues, if so that seems to have fixed it.

Anyway, as of the time of writing the Hub Two is working with AOVPN just as well as the older TG582.