cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Work VPN not working

RB5000

Work VPN not working

Hi, for several months now during work my vpn will occasionally just shut off and I will be unable to access it again usually for rest of day. My IT deparrment said this fault lies with plusnet, not them. I was just off the phone to one of the phone line agents at plusnet who, once after speaking to a colleague, said they do not support business vpns. However the issue seems to intermittently occur and works most of the time.
Then i spotted this

https://community.plus.net/t5/Everything-else/VPN-not-working/td-p/1555802

This issue seems pretty similar to mine and it was solved by moving the IP address it seems, can anything like this be done for me? Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Work VPN not working

A static IP can be purchased via the Add-ons section of the Member Centre for £5.

If it doesn't work, then I'm sure some kind soul can apply a credit to your bill.

Alternative is to try powering your router off for ~1hr or so in the hope that you're assigned an IP from a different dynamic range when you power it back up.

If the issue were IP related, I wouldn't expect the VPN to simply stop working mid-flight mind you. Only after a disconnection/reconnection that forces an IP change.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Work VPN not working

@RB5000 wrote:
Hi, for several months now during work my vpn will occasionally just shut off and I will be unable to access it again usually for rest of day.

Can you associate this with any line disconnection event?

It would be worth you checking your external IP address when it works and when it does not.  There is some possibility that the VPN connection is being blocked by the VPN provider using out of date Geolocation data for some IP address ranges.

The change from working to not working could be down to acquiring a different IP address for which you company's VPN provider has bad location data.  The reason that a static IP address usually works, is that they are drawn for legacy IP address ranges, rather than acquired ranges.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.