cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is my connection

Keithrevis

What is my connection

I think I have FTTC (so copper to our house). I get speeds of around 50mbps around our house on WiFi and I get Broadband from BT. I have attached photos of the box on the wall and my modem that connects to my Smart Hub 2 via Ethernet. I am thinking of switching to Sky or Plusnet but am worried about a drop in speed if I do so. I am even more confused as the Plusnet chap on chat said I would be going from BT cable to copper if I switch to them. I thought all these providers were supplied via BT Openreach and as full fibre isnt available in our area yet all speeds would be similar for the Superfast fibre.

5 REPLIES 5
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: What is my connection

That looks like an old Openreach modem, it is not needed with newer routers such as your smart hub.

Plusnet is part of the BT Group, and both Sky and Plusnet use the same Openreach line as your current BT Retail FTTC.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to Everything Else

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Keithrevis You will get the same broadband service over the same copper line so the speed should not change. You have been told a load of rubbish by the Plusnet chat person.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@Keithrevis 

Just to clarify. You are on FTTC via the copper phone lines. You should get about the same speed on this service regardless of which ISP  is providing the Openreach service.

I would guess that the Plusnet agent got confused if you mentioned your router being connected over Ethernet as this separate modem and router combination has not been used for several years. However full fibre does not need a modem so the hub is plugged in to the BT ONT over Ethernet. Plusnet hubs are now combined modems and routers so with FTTC the filtered BT master socket connects directly to the single unit hub using the DSL lead that in your configuration is plugged in to the modem.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Keithrevis

Thanks all that helps and confirms what I was thinking. I have a 3 storey house so have my BT Smart Hub 2 on the middle floor to help WiFi coverage. When it was on the ground floor near where the BT Openreach box on the wall is I didnt get great WiFi coverage on the top floor. So it seems I could swap from BT to Plusnet or Sky with little speed difference?

My broadband status is attached if that helps.