cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webspace Usage Updates

thejudge
Rising Star

Webspace Usage Updates

Anyone know how long it takes the Webspace Usage figures to update?

My Webspace Used figure was at 231MB (which in itself was a bit odd, because the identical files on my HDD here came to no more than 177MB), but in the last week or two I have gone through and optimised many of the images on the site to free up some space.

I estimate that I reduced the 'footprint' of the site by about 30MB, and the HDD version now shows as 147MB.

However, even about a week after uploading the slimmed-down image files (and, of course, deleting the larger ones from the server) the Webspace Used figure is still showing as 231MB (see att'd).

Any thoughts?

17 REPLIES 17
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Webspace Usage Updates

I can't say how long it'd take to update as I genuinely don't know, but I wouldn't have thought it'd be that long.

I've refreshed the webspace component on your account to try to kick things back into shape.

Could you check your webspace usage figure after 4 hours and let me know what they say? 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
thejudge
Rising Star

I've left it overnight, but it's showing 231MB, I'm afraid.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hmm, let me take a closer look tonight (I've got to go out for a couple of hours)

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've asked a colleague for advice and I'll let you know when I know more.

I'm out of the office tomorrow, so I'll check back on Wednesday. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @thejudge

I've discussed with a colleague and I'd like to raise a NetOps task to take a closer look.

As part of the investigation, would you be happy if we changed your account password?

If you're happy with this, could you reply to the ticket I've logged on your account Here to confirm?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
thejudge
Rising Star

@Anoush,

I've now updated the ticket. Thanks.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cheers, I've raised the task and I'll let you know when I know more. 

At the latest, I'll check back on Friday. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @thejudge

We've checked the backend system and I've added your webspace usage onto the ticket 221465169.

Let me know if you've got further queries. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
thejudge
Rising Star

Thanks for that, Anoush.

I have raised this issue a few times in the past, and I was told once (the post was probably on the old forum, so long ago it was) that old log files didn't count towards webspace usage (see this post from 2015 where I quote what I was previously told about this ). For the record, as far as I know I've never had raw logging enabled.

Two questions:

1/ Was that the case, and if it was is it still the case?

2/ If not, how to I delete old log/stats files? I notice in your update to me that 72MB of the space consists of log/webstats files as follows:

4.0K ./logs
8.0K ./webstats/cgi.judgemental.plus.com
12K ./webstats/fp.judgemental.plus.com
12K ./webstats/ccgi.judgemental.plus.com
28M ./webstats/www.judgemental.plus.com
36M ./webstats/www.thejudge.me.uk
8.9M ./webstats/www.ybarnwr.me.uk
72M ./webstats

I never used the old .cgi/.fp./.ccgi facilities anyway, and the www.ybarnwr.me.uk domain was allowed to lapse years ago and I no longer have it registered.

When using ftp to the web server, there are no log or webstats files shown there, so how would I delete them if necessary?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

No problem and thanks for getting back to me @thejudge 

I honestly don’t know the answers unfortunately, but earlier today I did actually ask why there’s a discrepancy between the system we/you see to show the webspace usage and the backend system. I hadn’t received a response before I finished, but I may do next week. 

I’m away from the office now for 9 days, but one of my colleagues may be able to help in the meantime and/or @bobpullen if he spots this and has time. 

Happy to ask around the week after next if needed. 

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @thejudge 

One of my colleagues from our NetOps team has confirmed that:

• All files in webspace count towards the webspace allowance.
  • Regardless of the usage figure you see in your account, when we look at archiving webspace, we'll check the usage on the backend system which is a lot more accurate, so we won't be archiving based on an inaccurate figure.
  • You should be able to delete any of the files through FTP, but if you can't then we'll be happy to do this on your behalf. 

Let me know if you've got any further queries and I'll be happy to help.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
thejudge
Rising Star

@Anoush,

Thanks for this, but I can't see any log files in my webspace when using either my ftp client (CoreFTP) or IE11 to view them. There is a 'log' folder there, but there are no files showing in it. If it's not log files taking up the extra ~70MB of space, then what is?

If I asked for the log files (should there be any) to be deleted, what would that do? Would my webstats disappear for all dates up to the point of deletion?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Not entirely sure. I've passed the task back to NetOps to ask. 

I'll let you know as soon as I've got a response. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
thejudge
Rising Star

@Gandalf,

Thanks for your e-mail update this morning regarding the fact that the webstats are what is taking up the space.

I don't want to de-activate webstats completely, but that seems the only option available in the Control Panel.

(I've de-activated and re-activated them now just to see what happens).

Is there any way to delete webstats over a certain age (e.g., from more than a year ago) but maintain the generation of webstats going forward?