cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Website, Change of domain name provider

eagleman

Website, Change of domain name provider

Having had my website with Plusnet for quite number of years, what is involved in having  the domain name hosted by another provide.

11 REPLIES 11
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Website, Change of domain name provider

Hi there,

You'll need to choose a new registrar and host for your domain and webspace. This can be different providers or all one provider. Generally speaking it may be better and easier to go with one provider.

Once you've chosen your provider(s), if you can private message me your domain name and the IPSTAG of the registrar, I can arrange for your domain to be transferred to them. I may need to create a ticket on your account first though that you can respond to with confirmation that you're happy to go ahead. 

In the meantime, I'd recommend creating a local backup of your webspace and mailbox contents as these can't be transferred. After your domain's up and running with your new provider, you can then re-upload your website via FTP.

Having said that, if you want to keep your website with us while moving your domain to another provider, that should be possible, depending on the domain provider. For example, I've got a website & domain hosted with Wix and I wanted to move my domain to Plusnet, but I couldn't get Wix to point my webspace to an external domain provider.

(In my experience though I may have been doing something wrong as I'm not a genius at handling webspace)

If you've got further queries, feel free to get back to me though and I'll be happy to help.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
amsaunders
Hooked

Hi Gandalf,

We are in a similar situation. We have a domain name and email services through Plusnet from a legacy account originally with Madasafish. When I log into our account I don't see any reference to domain names or emails. We are looking at moving email services away and will plan to move the domain name at the same time. THe domain name is a .co.uk domain so I can provide the IPS tag, but we're not quite ready to transfer everything just yet.

Do we have any option to manage the domain name and emails ourselves, or do we have to ask you to make changes?

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi there,

If you can private message me your Madasafish username, domain name and IPSTAG when you're ready to move, I'll create a support ticket on your account you can reply to with confirmation then raise a NetOps task to transfer your domain. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
amsaunders
Hooked

Hi Gandalf,

Sorry for the delay in replying, we are getting closer to needing to move our domain name as per the previous message. Can I just confirm sending you a message with the madasafish username, domain name and IPS tag is all that is required to get this actioned?

Also, when I click on your username it does not give me the option to send you a private message. When I click on the Private Messages button at the bottom of the page it says "Access Denied". Do you have an email address I could send the transfer request to instead? Or is there another way to send you a private message?

Thanks in advance

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, that's right, you need to have made at least 5 posts to be able to send a private message so we'll look out for that coming through 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
amsaunders
Hooked

Hi there, thank you for letting me know

amsaunders
Hooked

I will post enough comments to allow me to send you a private message

amsaunders
Hooked

I will send a private message to both of you once I have the correct permissions to do so

amsaunders
Hooked

Hi Gandalf, I've sent you a private message with the requested details earlier this morning. Is this something you are able to action for me as soon as possible?

Hope to hear from you soon Smiley 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sorry for the delay, I've raised a NetOps task now and your domain should be transferred within 3 to 5 working days.

Once I have an update I'll let you know.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi there,

We've initiated the transfer of your domain and your new registrar have requested what's known as a handshake, which means you'll need to ask them to approve the request.

If you can let me know after you've done that, I'll make sure the domain transfer is fully completed from our side. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet