cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I port my phone number to a VOIP provider when upgrading from FTTC to FTTP?

FIXED
jamesb88
Hooked

Can I port my phone number to a VOIP provider when upgrading from FTTC to FTTP?

Hi,

I have a specific requirement where I need to port my existing broadband/home phone number that's currently in use on my FTTC package when I come to upgrade to FTTP. I'm getting mixed messages from Plusnet support and my existing VOIP provider (Microsoft) as to what is and what isn't possible here.

Microsoft state that I cannot transfer phone number for broadband lines that are used for Internet as DSL/broadband numbers are billed separately and aren't transferable. Plusnet told me today that if I placed an upgrade order (from FTTC to FTTP), then if I attempted to port the number it would work without cancelling my Plusnet account as there's an active upgrade order on there. I know I'd lose phone/broadband between the port date and my FTTP install, but I'm happy with this (providing I do get to keep the number).

I've spoken to other Plusnet support reps in the past who say it isn't possible. They suggested I move to BT (no early termination fee) as they offer a VOIP option and I could keep my number that way, but I want to move the number to my Microsoft plan so I can keep it with some other numbers I use for my sole-trader business and not have to pay for the BT VOIP addon.

Has anybody managed to do this? In short, I want to port my FTTC broadband phone number when upgrading to FTTP without the potential of losing the number or having to pay the early termination fee.

If this isn't possible then is my only solution to wait until I'm out of contract, order FTTP with a rival provider and see if Microsoft will port the number shortly before that's due to be installed?

Thanks,

James

13 REPLIES 13
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Can I port my phone number to a VOIP provider when upgrading from FTTC to FTTP?

@jamesb88 reading from a post by @Gandalf  here https://community.plus.net/t5/Full-Fibre/FTTP-and-Residential-number-porting/m-p/1885066#M18551 you may be able to arrange a Plusnet FTTP install and move your landline to VOIP but I would await help from said staff member to see if this is still possible.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Can I port my phone number to a VOIP provider when upgrading from FTTC to FTTP?

Microsoft state that I cannot transfer phone number for broadband lines that are used for Internet as DSL/broadband numbers are billed separately and aren't transferable.

Rubbish! There's no technical reason why the landline number couldn't be transferred, obviously doing so would terminate the broadband as well. My guess is that Microsoft don't want people thinking they can port a landline number to Teams (I assume) and still have the broadband active. Maybe they've setup their porting system to prevent numbers with active bb from being ported.

Plusnet told me today that if I placed an upgrade order (from FTTC to FTTP), then if I attempted to port the number it would work without cancelling my Plusnet account as there's an active upgrade order on there. I know I'd lose phone/broadband between the port date and my FTTP install, but I'm happy with this (providing I do get to keep the number).

Whilst that MAY work, I'm not sure its an approved process.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to Everything Else

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@jamesb88 

Porting your phone number cancels your PlusNet account which would then cancel any FTTP order on PlusNet systems.

It appears the only way to do it is to place a FTTP order as a new customer (no e-mail serive for newbies) and once that is up and running port your number to cancel the FTTC account.

It's been suggested in the past that PN would waive early termination fees on FTTC as you've stayed with them on FTTP.

You lose any exisiting e-mail accounts.

Brian

jamesb88
Hooked

Thanks bmc,

I was told by Plusnet that the account would stay active, provided there was an FTTP upgrade order active on the account, but he didn't sound convincing.

I was also told by the same support rep that a second account wouldn't help in my case as BT would remove the copper during the FTTP install anyway.

bmc
Hero

@jamesb88 

There is a lot of confusion regarding phone number ports. Have you read the following thread

https://community.plus.net/t5/Full-Fibre/FTTP-and-Residential-number-porting/td-p/1874234

Hopefully @Gandalf will pick up in due course and give you a definite answer.

One person did manage to get FTTP installed and port their number but I suspect it was down to good luck more than anything else. The port happened late in the day and FTTP was installed early the next day - I suspect before the PN systems caught up with things.

However there was a posting (#113 on the above Thread) where somebody gave a reply from Sipgate which suggested PN might keep an account open for one day to allow porting.

There is also an active post running on the thread where a new install was ordered on top of FTTC (external work was done today).

Brian

jamesb88
Hooked

Thanks Brian,

As you say, a lot of mixed messages out there but that post only adds to the confusion. Gandalf gave a different opinion here https://community.plus.net/t5/Full-Fibre/FTTP-and-Residential-number-porting/m-p/1885066#M18551 but I suppose the process is continually evolving as PN roll out their service.

Hopefully it's still achievable by placing a new order for FTTP and porting out the number of the existing FTTC account prior to the FTTP switch on date, cancelling the FTTC service and having my early termination fee waived. I don't even care if I'm without FTTC broadband (or the phone line) for few days or even a couple of weeks - providing I don't lose the number. I don't use any PN email accounts so I'm only really bothered about keeping  the phone number.

Hopefully @Gandalf can advise me on the best approach.

bmc
Hero

@jamesb88 

I think you have to port after FTTP is installed to get early termination fees waived. This ensures you stay with PN.

Brian

jamesb88
Hooked

Either way, that works with me, providing I get to keep the number.

nitram
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

@jamesb88 wrote:

I was also told by the same support rep that a second account wouldn't help in my case as BT would remove the copper during the FTTP install anyway.

Not if2022-09-05_171648.png

Get there on BT site and don't enter a phone number.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

Hey all,

Sorry I think I've caused the confusion and set wrong expectations here.

When upgrading to FTTP with us, you'll lose your landline number, but we can sign you up to BT's FTTP and Digital Voice.

However, we're happy to help in any way we can, so if we're able to waive cancellation fees should you decide to sign up a new FTTP account with Plusnet, then port your landline number to another provider, we will do. 

This isn't something we officially offer as a process, we'd just be going the extra mile, so I can't promise we can help everyone in this position. I would note that you'll need to agree this with us first as cancellation fees would have to be removed before your account is cancelled. Additionally if you have Plusnet Email or Referrals then you'll lose these. 

I hope this helps! 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jamesb88
Hooked

Thanks Gandalf,

I think that's the answer then. Can you advise how I set up a second account with Plusnet for a new FTTP order? And how do I get something in writing that Plusnet will honour the waiving of my cancelling fee on my FTTC account? I'll need this prior to ordering the FTTP package.

Feel free to call me if that's easier.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Sure. Sign up via our website, making sure you select the option that you'd want to keep your home phone line with your "current landline provider" then ask your chosen VoIP provider to port the number on a date after your FTTP's installed.

It'd be up to you if you decide to wait until your FTTP's installed before putting the port request in, or use the projected date we'd provide you. The former will mean there would be some overlap and hopefully ensure that you're not without a service if there's a delay with your FTTP order. We however wouldn't be in a position to refund the overlapping FTTC / FTTP subscription fees nor would we provide compensation for any loss of service in either instance. 

Once you've signed up the FTTP account, drop me a private message with both the account usernames. Smiley

[edit]

Take this post as confirmation that I'm happy to waive your cancellation fees in exchange for signing up an FTTP account. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet