cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoIP

Eggs
Rising Star

VoIP

I am upgrading from FTTC to FTTP on the 21st of this month.

I rarely use my landline but am considering using a VoIP telephone just in case. I wouldn't be concerned with losing my present number.

Since I am hard of hearing it would be nice - if possible - to use my existing telephone since it is amplified with variable volume and tone functions.

I would want a cheap and basic "no frills" service for United Kingdom calls only.

Does anyone have any recommendations, advice or experience with such?

7 REPLIES 7
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Re: VoIP

It partly depends whether you want the VoIP provider to supply the necessary adapter, or whether you are happy to source your own and just need an account.

I use sipgate because it had no monthly charge when I joined - I understand it is now £10pm for new customers.

If I was looking now I'd probably choose AAISP's VoIP as I have good experience with another of their products. Take a look at https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobile/    Their VoIP costs just £1.20pm.

As something a little left-field, they also offer a SIP2SIM mobile voice SIM card, which gives any mobile phone a landline number!  If you have a mobile that has 2 SIM slots you can carry your usual mobile number and home landline number around with you! 

Eggs
Rising Star

https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobile/

This service certainly looks like what I am looking for. £1.20 a month is cheaper than what I had already been looking at.

It does, however say I would need a VoIP capable telephone. Am I correct in thinking I can use my own landline telephone with any VoIP service and I just need an adapter? If so, are such adapters provider specific? Will any adapter suffice?

The other provider I was looking at is:

https://soho66.co.uk/

They have very good trustpilot reviews but prices start from £2.99 a month.

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

I use the Grandstream HT802 adapter - it can provide 2 connections - and I use the DECT phones I already had with it. It works just fine. 

Other adapters are available, but I have no experience of them. 

I am aware some VoIP providers services only work with their specific adapters (e.g. BT).

Edit: It is probably worth pointing out that AAISP have extensive help pages, and they list a lot of recommended adapters and phones, and provide the settings necessary to use them with the AAISP VoIP.

Eggs
Rising Star

I decided to sign up for the Andrew & Arnold (aa.net.uk) service costing me £1.20 for the number and £1.40 (now £1.42) a month + calls cost (around 1.5p a minute). I bought a used Grandstream HT801 adapter off eBay so I can use my existing telephone.

The settings on the adpater were a bit daunting but by following the help pages provided by A&A for it I managed but intially could only make outgoing calls. eMail support replied quickly to my query to say my preferences on their site were set to free calls only. They amended that for me and now I am up and running.

It is precisely what I wanted. A facility which I rarely use but need at negligible ongoing cost.

Job done.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

eMail support replied quickly to my query to say my preferences on their site were set to free calls only. They amended that for me and now I am up and running.

I'm not sure I understand that ? surely receiving calls is free ?

I could understand why that setting would prevent outgoing calls but why would it prevent incoming calls

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Eggs
Rising Star

My mistake. You are correct.

I was unable to make outgoing calls. I was just getting the busy tone.

Also, now I have the system working I can play around with some of the settings - changing the ring for different incoming call numbers and such.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Phew! Im glad about that. I've used A & A in the office for a few years now, and was about to go into the Control panel and check the settings...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.