cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN not working

FIXED
Polo78

VPN not working

Hi can anyone help me, I used to be able to connect my work laptop to its VPN (using L2TP connection) from home (using PlusNet Hub). Recently this stopped working and the "support team" just say they do not support VPN (hopeless!). I've seen some previous posts that suggest that it is a setting on my account that might be the problem?Huh

It works when tethered to my mobile - so not a server or account issue. The IKE and AuthIP service has been restarted. The router has been restarted, Port clamping is already enabled on the router and has been restarted since.

Any suggestions?

159 REPLIES 159
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: VPN not working

Hi and welcome to the forums,

There have  been some issues with certain VPN clients and some PlusNet allocated IP's.

Which VPN client do you use ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

Can you type "what is my ip" into a google search. If the address starts with 146. its one of the addresses that can have issues with some VPN clients that MisterW menitioned. This is because Plusnet inherited some addresses from a US provider, these addresses are sometimes incorrectly reported as still being in the USA by some geo location services which can cause issues.

See the thread below for information

https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Feedback/IP-addresses-not-UK-Can-customers-please-report-any-p...

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

@mikelahey wrote:

.....If the address starts with 146.

It does.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Fix

Hi @Polo78,

I'm sorry to hear that you are unable to connect to your VPN at the moment, and apologise for the inconvenience that this has caused you.

As @MisterW and @mikelahey have mentioned, there is an issue with certain VPN clients and certain allocated IPs. The IP address that you are currently connected on falls within the range that is affected by this issue.

I have performed a session kill to try and move your IP address on to a different range. Please can you turn your router off for at least 10 minutes? Please let us know if this doesn't resolve the issue.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Polo78

Many thanks EmilyD, that has sorted it, at least for the time being. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Out of interest which company are you trying to connect to? Is it Co-Op Bank?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Polo78

No, just a small surveying business, we use the standard windows vpn client (L2TP).

Thanks for your help everyone.

Polo78

Darn, my IP had reverted to a 146 when I tried to connect again.....

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @Polo78, if you're still experiencing problems with this, could you drop me a PM with the name of the VPN client you're using and the business you're trying to connect to so I can discuss this with a colleague on our Networks team to look in this further.

Thanks.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
MattParfitt

HI @EmilyD,

I am writing on behalf of a colleague at work ( I work in the IT Team). He has a PlusNet One Hub and is experiencing the same problem as others have mentioned. Would it be possible to check if his IP is in the allocated range that is affected by the issue?

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

@MattParfitt If you can PM me their username we'll look into this for you

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
ashgreen

Hi @MatthewWheeler and @EmilyD - I'm experiencing the same with Alwayson VPN on my plusnet account too, using both SSTP and IPSec connections.

any chance my router could be prodded too please?

Many thanks, 

Ash

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Ash.

Having a look at your account the first thing I'd do is to switch the broadband firewall off Here.

Let us know how this goes.

[edit]

If this doesn’t help you should be able to try to force your line to connect to a different IP by switching the router off for 65 minutes. 

Keep us posted. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
elhaxi

I have the similar issue in accessing my vpn provider site, should i have to change the services?