cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN not working - help!

jeandresand

VPN not working - help!

Hello,

I've not been able to connect to the VPN for the last three weeks. The IT team at work have investigated and not been able to resolve the situation, and they think it could be that my ISP is blocking the VPN protocols.

I've called the Plusnet support team and no one can help as they are not sufficiently trained so have advised me to reach out on here - can anyone help fix this ongoing nightmare?

Thanks in advance,

Jessica

7 REPLIES 7
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: VPN not working - help!

@jeandresand Hi and welcome to the forums,

There have  been some issues with certain VPN clients and some PlusNet allocated IP's.

Which VPN client do you use ?

and does your currently allocated public IP start with a 146 ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

flanzm
Pro
Fixes: 15

Have a look in the member centre to see what the Firewall is set to.  You could try turning it off to see if it makes a difference.

What happens if you try connecting from a different Wifi network, say a Coffee Shop Wifi etc - if it doesn't work there you know it's not PlusNet and it's something on your laptop.

Mike

jeandresand

Hi,

Thanks for responding so quickly MisterW

VPN client - openVpn/microsoft windows vpn

And yes my allocated public IP does start with 146.....

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Sounds very similar to this https://community.plus.net/t5/Everything-else/VPN-not-working/m-p/1555802

Assuming the VPN has worked in the past on your PlusNet connection and as @flanzm says, it works from other connections i.e nothing has changed on the PC , then, firts of all, it may be worth dropping the connection for a while  and seeing if you get a non 146... address.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @jeandresand

If the issue is still ongoing, please PM me with the details below so we can investigate this for you. 

• When the issue started and if you've ever been able to connect successfully
  • IP address or hostname of the VPN you're connecting to
  • Symptoms of the problem and any error messages returned
  • Make/model of router you're using

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note:

Thread moved from Broadband to Everything Else.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Abouttoleave

I have the same issue, I can't believe that after an hour on the phone with the 'Support  Team' they say to go onto the forum as they can't fix it!

So Help please!

Since June / July the VPN connection hasn't worked so I can't work at home & connect to the work server. As well as that the home CCTV cannot be viewed on mobile phone away from home but it used to...