cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN not working and disconnected. Cannot open any documents on laptop

JessHazell
Dabbler

Re: VPN not working and disconnected. Cannot open any documents on laptop

on my wifi under ‘IP assignment’ it Automatic DHCP which isn’t static?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

It will do, that is your internal private ip.

we are talking about your public IP, the one allocated to your braodband connection by PlusNet.

Try the link that @Dan_the_Van  referred to above , that should report the IP address and the name

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JessHazell
Dabbler

I have tried it but can’t get any results. It says on the command prompt there’s an input error but I’m just typing it as you suggested above.

I’m very confused as to how and what I’m meant to be checking I’m sorry. Taken all advice and can’t figure anything out!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Just click the link https://ipchicken.com/ , it should give you a page with your current public IP address close to the top and the reverse lookup as the Name further down the page

Here's an example from my connection , a static IP . NB like me, you might want to redact some part of the IP address and accountname if it appears in the Name field ( since this is a public forum )

Untitled.png

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JessHazell
Dabbler

thanks. what is the reverse lookup?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Normally a DNS lookup is used to return an IP address for a name such as bbc.co.uk. A revers lookup returns the Name from an IP address. In the example , the page returns the reverse lookup for your IP as 'Name address' in the Advanced section.

JessHazell
Dabbler

okay. so on this website https://ipchicken.com/ what am i looking for exactly? that’s what i’m confused about
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Youre looking for what it says for Name address: in the Advanced section, see my example above

JessHazell
Dabbler

So this is what I am seeing - does not have the plus.com. Not sure what this means. (I work for Hinckley council hence the email)IP.png

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

That is your work connection , either you have the VPN working or you're at Work!

You need to access the link from your home connection without any VPN

JessHazell
Dabbler

Yes - absolute classic it’s working this morning for the first time in over a week! It still wasn’t working Saturday > Sunday though so surprised it is today. I am at home currently too.
Could it be the static IP has worked?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Yes - absolute classic it’s working this morning for the first time in over a week! 

That would explain why the link is showing your works IP. The fact that the VPN is now working does indicate that your PlusNet IP address has changed from one of the problem ranges. That MAY be due to the static IP finally activating OR youre still on a dynamic one and just lucky to have got one from the range that works.

Try the link again when you have the VPN disconnected and post the results.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Yes the IP address has changed from a 35.X range to a 31.X range.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@dvorak  thanks for that. So its still not a static then ? OR is the 31.x one of the static ranges

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @JessHazell, thanks for getting back to us and I'm glad to here the issue looks to now be resolved. Strangely, I can confirm your static IP address looks to have been in place for around a week now so nothing looks to have changed our side. Hopefully, what ever caused this change stays this way however and should you need anything moving forwards then please don't hesitate getting back in touch.