cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VOIP - Plusnet Hub 2

cigs80
Hooked

VOIP - Plusnet Hub 2

I have just got FTTP installed and got the Plusnet Hub Two router. I would also like to keep my landline number which I am currently with Virgin. I want to cancel my Virgin contract but will loose out on landline. Can I simply purchase a VOIP handset and connect this to the Plusnet Hub 2 router to get access to VOIP or do I need to subscribe to a VOIP provider and get an adaptor ? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
9 REPLIES 9
hpjohnson
Dabbler

Re: VOIP - Plusnet Hub 2

At the moment it appears that Plusnet are set to lose a large portion of customers come the PSTN switch off as they don't appear to offer anything for those who need to retain their landline, even though Plusnet and BT are the same company in effect, with BT Digital Voice Handsets being given away for free by BT. You'd think Plusnet would roll something out, even if only a PAYG service for those who really need it. Anyway, you may like to consider Andrew and Arnold or Vonage, they offer standalone voip. Another complication, but at the moment the only way of getting around it until Plusnet see the light. Perhaps the staff or moderators can update us as to what Plusnets intentions are for those who need a landline post 2024.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

You need to subscribe to a VoIP provider and buy an adapter.

Though the Hub Two does have the physical port, the router’s firmware does not support SIP functionality / configuration.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Townman  An ATA adaptor is OK if you want to use an analogue phone or a PSTN Dect base station but I would suggest a VOIP Dect system (e.g. the Gigaset range of products)  with an ethernet connection to the router is a much better option but will obviously require a larger budget. 

cigs80
Hooked

So if I were to get an ATA adaptor which is connected to my dect phone and the Hub two router via Ethernet connection, presumably this would work ?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Providing you also subscribe to a voip service with a provider

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

I still have a BT SmartHub2 from when I was with them before Plusnet. That has a "BT" phone socket on the back.

If I was subscribed to a VOIP service, could I use the BT SH Hub2 instead of the Plusnet Hub2 and an ATA adapter, or does that only work with BT's Digital Voice?

My BT Hub already has my Plusnet login details in it as a spare router.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

or does that only work with BT's Digital Voice?

Yes it only works with BT digital voice

cigs80
Hooked

Thank you for the replies. Any U.K. VOIP service providers you would recommend ?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Sipgate used to be the go to recommendation but they now only have a £10/month plan including calls.

For a payg plan https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobile/voip-information/ is now the recommended