Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to access Plusnet website

FIXED
seabasskarp
Dabbler

Re: Unable to access Plusnet website

Yes it appears this is a change to a "default setting" that is being pushed out to coincide with the version 117 release date - but as that setting is not new in Chrome, it would make sense that others on older versions are now seeing that setting get updated too. The slight timing difference I suspect is that Google are rolling this change out slowly to be on the safe side, as although they estimated only 0.02% of sites are using SHA-1 handshakes that is just an estimate.

I still think removing the root certificate from the chain of certs being sent down by the server will resolve this, as it seems to be forcing some clients to use that (an older godaddy root cert), rather than a newer one the client probably have in their local certificate store already. That will also remove the amber 'contains anchor' warning that you get in SSL labs.

tonym
Hooked

Having posted in this thread earlier, I've been watching the responses ticking by / filling up my email inbox with interest. Unsurprisingly, I'm still unable to access the main Plusnet site on my Chromebook running ChromeOS 116.0.5845.210 (Official Build(32-bit) without applying the SHA-1 flag workround mentioned by @RevvyRevRev - while I as a tech-savvy former IT Design & Development / Tech Support bod am able (if not actually happy) to tweak things as and when necessary, not everybody is, nor should they have to. It's long-gone time Plusnet actually took notice and did something about this problem.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@sstoddart wrote:

From what I have read, PlusNet are washing their hands of this.... difficult to see how they can be so dismissive...

Nobody is washing their hands of anything; the problem will be resolved.

@seabasskarp - I suspect we'll see a completely new cert issued, hopefully this week.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

ColinXSD
Dabbler

Re: PN main site

Is there a problem with the Plusnet site at the moment?
All I get with any page I try to Log in to is this:

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 260

@ColinXSD Which browser, on what kit, are you using?

John
ColinXSD
Dabbler

@jab1 Chrome on a Windows 11 PC,

also checked on my Android Phone and get the same message.

jab1
Legend

It is a result of Chrome changing some settings. There are a number of topics on this subject.

John
ColinXSD
Dabbler

@jab1 Have you got any links?
I did a few searches and nothing relevant came up.

jab1
Legend

ColinXSD
Dabbler

Thanks @jab1, I'll try the uninstall/reinstall then.
I tried using Edge and that worked.

I have never had any problems like that with Chrome before but have with Edge, looks like I may have to find another Browser?
The problem is only with Plusnet (as others have said) and it will be a pain doing the Uninstall/Reinstall on all my devices Sad

Colin.

jab1
Legend

DO NOT use that option - as Bob Pullen says in the currently last post - there will be a new cert issued to resolve the current problem this week.

John
Mav
Fixes: 516

Moderator's note(s):

Several posts from #93 to #100 inclusive moved here from another thread.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

beetnik
Grafter

I'm also unable to access the site using Chrome V117.

I manage infrastructure for a £6m t/o charity. If any of our sites were unavailable to the extent that Plusnet's are I'd be in serious trouble. Plusnet has a *t/o of £400m+ and close to 1,000 staff. It should be fixed - today.

jab1
Legend

@beetnik IT IS BRING FIXED - see the last post by Bob Pullen above.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

@seabasskarp wrote:

In case anyone missed it, here's a link to the change google are rolling out to Chrome... https://chromestatus.com/feature/4832850040324096 

More bully-boy tactics from Google ... one day people will wake up and realise that Google is not the answer to every problem ... more often than not, it is the problem.

Chrome is not the only browser, it certainly is not the best.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.