Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ThinkBroadband Quality Monitor

Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

ThinkBroadband Quality Monitor

I just get a solid red block on the monitor so I take it the PlusNet Sagemcom 2704N router isn't compatible with the TB quality monitor?

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: ThinkBroadband Quality Monitor

I don't think this router responds to internet based pings which is why you're getting the result you are. Also, I'm not sure if it can be changed either, but someone else will.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

If you have a device that is "pingable" in your LAN, and you can put that in the DMZ, the the graph will work.

That said, I found the results much less accurate that a router that is "pingable". It also increases your vulnerability to attack, so not something I would leave for any length of time.

gicol

I dont understand about ping but my router wi fi is rubbish, i have tried different positions i can only get 0.07 download on wi fi i get about 17 with ethernet my contract said i should get  32

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mustrum - I don’t think that because a router is pingable makes it any more of a target than one that is not. Anyone of a nefarious nature scanning the IP block would probe all ports to see what response was given and is akin to a kid running down a street checking each house in turn. First thing to do is knock on the door (ping) if there’s no answer you can’t assume no one is home as they may not have heard the ping or simply be doing other things. So the next thing to do is to try all the windows (ports), they may look closed but they many not actually be locked.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

@Anonymous agreed. It was the device in a DMZ that I would have concerns with. People seem to put devices in the DMZ without thinking of those things you mention, or how they are connected, WiFi or Homeplugs, then wonder why they get poor results.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@Mustrum wrote:

That said, I found the results much less accurate that a router that is "pingable". 

Interesting. What devices did you try?

Mustrum
Community Veteran

@Browni I had it pointing to a Sony Blu Ray player - it seemed to look ok to start with, although latency increased by about 10ms, then I got more packet loss after an hour or so. That said, being on Colindale seems to be the biggest problem. Thankfully I can still switch Gateways with a disconnect. 

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Thanks @Mustrum, I'm using a Now TV box (rebadged Roku 3) and the TBB graphs are pretty accurate. I can also switch gateways quite easily and am currently connected to City Lifeline House. I avoid Colindale & Southbank!