Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch to Norton

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Switch to Norton

OK - sounds 'normal' to me, but be aware that at the moment there is some 'technical difficulty' with installing the PN supplied version of Norton.

John
Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

I wonder why you retain W7? I liked it and was most reluctant to replace with W10 but after a couple of years I must admit I was wrong. I thought W7 was cleaner in that it did not offer W10's bells and whistles which I don't want anyway, but W10 is faster for my simple needs and offers Windows Defender which seems to match most of the paid-for AVs, why not give it a try?

I used to buy both McAfee and Norton but they both fell back in the comparison tables so I turned to Kaspersky about seven years ago. It worked well but I have ditched it (and my half-year's payment) since the Russian war on Ukraine and repeated warnings from several governments. Recently W10 has suggested several updates being available for some of my ancient equipment, not least my 2002 Samsung monitor, so Microsoft has its good points!

Mike

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@Longliner You're possibly not referring to me, but the reason I retain W7 is that I didn't like W10, or get on with it when installed it when the 'trial' was offered. It was the only version of Windows, going back to the original - W95? - which didn't easily 'follow on' from its predecessor by offering a reasonably easy learning path, and although I persevered for the maximum amount of time possible, I was relieved to consign it whence it came.

I had a second bite at the cherry when we had to replace my mums W8.1 machine (again, IMO, a dud system) and found it just as bad, but as the IT guy in our family had to try and like it - failed miserably, but only ever touched it when I had to.

The Windows machine is now only used for a couple of programs that do not have easy equivalent ones in Linux - although I keep checking for possibles - and as an emergency back-up machine, and I'll never go back to a Redmond OS.

John
WorldMachine
Grafter

Thanks for the heads up re Norton problems. One would assume that McAfee won’t be stopped until Norton can be successfully installed. 

re windows 7. Have been around a fair few years, recall all the versions of windows and for me, W7 is hands down the best.  A couple of months ago we switched to W10 at work and I really don’t like it, there’s too much emphasis on people having more than one device, too many ways to change the same settings.  I’ll hang out on W7 til the bitter end. I’ve had no problems so far, it runs beautifully and I take a system image once a month should I encounter a problem. 

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

@WorldMachine  (and John)

OK I understand now. I thought W7 was the best and didn't like all the 'features' and the tiles like a child's nursery on W10, but I got used to it after I managed to get rid of all the clobber and make my screen like W7. I'm impressed by Defender, only two warnings this year and both genuine. Each to his own I suppose. 

Mike

gshipley56

A few days ago I followed the link supplied by PlusNet. I first received confirmation from Norton ('Your NortonLifeLock account has been successfully created. To complete the process, please click on the button to verify your email address'), but then after verifying my e-mail address I received a series of e-mails all telling me 'We want to let you know that there is an issue with processing your order. You will receive an email confirmation with information about how to download your product when your order has been processed. We apologize for the delay.' The last of these was on Friday 24 June, since when I've heard nothing. Now I'm away from home with no reliable mobile signal, so can't phone PlusNet, and McAfee may be due to disappear after today. Any advice?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Really sorry for the issues with downloading and installing Norton through our Protect product. 

We're aware of that problem you're experiencing, which we're working on getting to the bottom of. 

I can't tell you when it'll be fixed, but we'll sort it as soon as possible. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
gshipley56

Thanks, Anoush. That's helpful. My main worry is that McAfee may cease to work (and to updated) before I install Norton. Can you advise please?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I can't guarantee McAfee will carry on working because the switch to Norton is completed in our systems. 

Maybe there's people in the Community here who could help you find a temporary alternative. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
WorldMachine
Grafter

It would be helpful to know when McAfee will be switched off i.e date and time, so at least customers can make interim arrangements,

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I don't know the answer, so I've asked the question.

Once I've got something to share I'll let you know 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm told that today is the day that McAfee via our Protect product will stop working. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
WorldMachine
Grafter

Has anyone tried to get into McAfee and received a message that your subscription has expired, or unable to access / open it, or something to confirm that it has been switched off?  My McAfee is working this morning, searching for updates and is currently running a scan?Huh

austinsom
Grafter

I actually uninstalled McAfee ages ago and only came to Norton so I could use it on a MacBook as I ran out of licences on my other AV package!

As PN have said the agreement ended on 30 June, I'm not sure I would keep running McAfee now - whilst it might be reporting that it is updating, I wouldn't want to put my trust in something that is not supported or provided by PN any longer.  

As a stopgap I have installed Avast Free on my Mac, and it seems to run fine on there, so I would imagine the PC version would also work just fine.  AVG Free is also an option.  Generally I run Bitdefender n Windows machines and have never had any issues with that and there are good deals to be had on that.

Hopefully PN will shed some light on this Norton problem soon, as I'm sure there are alot of people who are having this problem and aren't actually making themselves known to PN.

gshipley56

The 'Which' website rates Kaspersky tops but warns that sanctions against Russia may interfere. Personally I'm not inclined to go for anything Russian. Avast is a close second but they say it nags you. AVG is right behind and I have gone with that because I know people who've used it. But someone asked me what is the rationale for having anything more than Microsoft Defender?