cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch to Norton

WorldMachine
Grafter

Switch to Norton

I have just received an email with the switch to Norton.  My first question is why? McAfee has always worked well for me.

Secondly, I began my account with Plusnet in 2011 and paid £2.00 a month for McAfee. As I still have McAfee, I am assuming my package either includes it or I am paying for it as part of my monthly fee.  I've tried to have a look at my account but not sure where to look.

Could someone let me know if I have McAfee currently, will I need to pay a further £2.00 after the trial ends.  If that is the case I probably won't switch to Norton, given the trouble people appear to be having, and switch to MWB.

53 REPLIES 53
iannewson
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Re: Switch to Norton

@WorldMachine wrote:

......given the trouble people appear to be having, and switch to MWB.

Malwarebytes wont cover you for viruses, only malware.

WorldMachine
Grafter

Thanks for the response; I've been doing some reading and yes, it appears MWB won't cut it for virus protection.  I will try and download Norton later on today and hope I don't run into the difficulties others seem to have had. 

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@WorldMachine Assuming you are using a Windows OS, why not forget Norton and use Windows Defender (or whatever it is called these days) in conjunction with MWB?

John
Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 12

I use Windows Security (Defender) and Malwarebytes and never had a problem.
Malwarebytes doesn't do virus protection but will warn if you're going into, or downloading from, known unsafe areas of the web.....

beeceegee
Pro
Fixes: 4

@iannewson wrote:

Malwarebytes wont cover you for viruses, only malware.

Malwarebytes does now include antivirus, at least in its paid version. It may not be the best av around, but as an all-in-one product it's not bad

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Malwarebytes does now include antivirus, at least in its paid version

Yes, MWB Premium does, and if you have a Current account with either Natwest or RBS then you can get a free licence for up to 10 devices

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

beeceegee
Pro
Fixes: 4

@MisterW wrote:

Malwarebytes does now include antivirus, at least in its paid version

Yes, MWB Premium does, and if you have a Current account with either Natwest or RBS then you can get a free licence for up to 10 devices

Good to know. I have a lifetime sub, from a special offer many years ago, but I'm also with Natwest so I'll install on the rest of the household machines

WorldMachine
Grafter

I've spent a couple of hours this morning looking at various options;almost decided on BitDefender but they will only support WIn7 users to January 2023.  Apparently MWB doesn't have good customer service.  I've had a look at some free ones such as Avast but just can't seem to find something which appeals and has good reviews.  

jab1
Legend

@WorldMachine I am not associated with MWB, except as being a satisfied free version user for a number of years. Never in that time have I needed 'customer services' and the odd time I've had a problem - 2 in 10+ years of use? - the forum has had, or found me, the answer.

John
WorldMachine
Grafter

Thanks John, it seems from several websites I’ve read, that MWB does have anti virus in its free version…

Malwarebytes offers free versions to scan and clean viruses and malware from your devices. Paid antivirus software like Malwarebytes Premium gives you on-going protection against viruses and malware, rather than just scanning and cleaning when you think your device might be infected.

I think the only difference is the paid for version has real time protection.  I’ve downloaded MWB and done a first scan.  I will see how it goes as I will miss the real time protection of McAfee but I have the option to pay for this on MWB.

jab1
Legend

Yup, the free version does scan for viruses - when you initiate a scan, but as you say it has no real-time protection, for which Windows Defender is perfectly adequate (and also free), and the two do not interfere with each other. 

As a Linux user, I obviously don't have either on my current machine, but my back-up (a Windows 7) has Avast AV and the free MWB - neither of which have picked anything up, other than the odd tracker, for longer than I can remember.

John
WorldMachine
Grafter

I looked at WD but I don’t think it’s available to download anymore for windows 7.

jab1
Legend

I may be wrong, as I have always used an alternative AV, but I thought it was installed as part of the OS, although you may be partly correct as W7 is no longer supported, maybe the AV definitions are no longer updated - I don't know.

John
WorldMachine
Grafter

From what I’ve seen WD is part of MS Essentials and that is no longer supported or available for Win 7.  Due to long hours at work imminent, I think I’m going to have to take the path of least resistance and download Norton and hope it works as well as McAfee for me.