Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SoGEA FTTC

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

SoGEA FTTC

When will Plusnet offer SoGEA FTTC (no phone line rental anymore) ? As Openreach saying all PSTN will be switched off in 2025.

8 REPLIES 8
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: SoGEA FTTC

I would image PN will have to offer something as there will be a lot of properties still using copper for the "last mile"

Line rental will be built into the costs.

Brian

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@goldenfibre 

My personal thoughts: If you think that you will be able to get heavily discounted broadband without paying the current line rental charge then I fear that you will be sadly disappointed. If in the future Plusnet decide to offer a VoIP phone service my guess is that this will only be offered if you also take FTTC broadband and the overall price, excluding inflationary price rises, will be in the same ball park as it is now.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

What I can see is plusnet current offer for new customer is FTTC 80/20 with line only @ £25.99 for 18 months then it revert to £47.54. SoGEA FTTC 80/20 are much cheaper @ £34.99 without line rental (that price is 12 months contract as Openreach won't have it for no contract) but once 12 months contract has expired then the price should remain at £34.99 per month. (of course ISP might increase price)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@goldenfibre  have a look at the prices that IDNet charge, and compare SoGEA and their FTTC prices.

https://www.idnet.com/superfast-broadband 

If you look at an 80/20 connection as an example -

IDNet charge the same £36 for both SoGEA and FTTP  (both not needing line rental)

but for FTTC which does include line rental they want £51,

so assuming FTTC - line rental = SoGEA, then the cost saving of no line rental is £15 which is about the going rate elsewhere.

I have to say that £51 for FTTC seems a little steep these days, and is probably set so high as to be a disincentive for new orders to encourage customers on to SoGEA at the much more attractive price ?.

Baldrick1

@goldenfibre 

I don’t know where you are getting your figures or their relevance. 
At the end of the day, I very much doubt if Plusnet will start offering a VoIP phone service without broadband and if you have broadband you can simply use a free SIP provider, for example:  https://www.sipgatebasic.co.uk/.

The issue that needs resolving is porting your phone number away from Plusnet without the contract being cancelled. I assume that this will be resolved before it becomes a major issue.

Moderator and Customer

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Mind you as I don't use any landline phone calls since 2007. So, line rental are pointless for my need.

Baldrick1

No, you rent the line to carry broadband to your property.

Moderator and Customer

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@Baldrick1 

I find it amazing how so many people simply do not get that a line is required to deliver the service, irrespective of the desire to use a voice service.

Interestingly, IDnet's SOGEA are more expensive than Plusnet's FTTC line included prices.  That somewhat refutes the notion that SOGEA pricing is what it claims to be - broadband only, no charge for the "telephone" line.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.