Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

School website

home99
Grafter

School website

Hi,
As a school governor I have been asked to investigate the possibilty of a school website.  Its only a small school so content will not be huge.  As I have no experience of web sites I have done some research on the internet into free website building for schools. 
This organisation, www.schools.ik.org, appears to offer this service with a basic free website.  Can I ask if anyone has heard of this organisation or know of any other that offers this service, or indeed know of a better approach.
Appreciate any assistance you can offer.
Regards
Dave 
11 REPLIES 11
klyne
Grafter

Re: School website

Dave
You might want to have a look at this website http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/bankholidays.html as an example and perhaps they would be willing to help another school.
David
chillypenguin
Grafter

I recommend that you take a look at Site@School
Its an easy to use and setup CMS (Content Management System) designed specially for School web sites. Once you have this up and running anyone can add content without any web creation skills. Even the kids if you let them.
In fact IMHO it makes a great simple CMS for any purpose, once you get your head around the school based roles.
Chilly
PS I have run it on the PlusNet CGI servers in the past.
home99
Grafter

Hi Chilly,
Many thanks for the info on the site.  I have had a poke around and am I correct in assuming that you browse the CMS (portal) tree and decide which software you like.  Then download it, adjust it to how you want it to look and then upload it to a host (apologies for the simplistic description but this is the level I am at).
Therefore CMS is used instead of creating a web page via FrontPage etc?
Regards
Dave
chillypenguin
Grafter

Yep!
Sorry I gave you the link via the review site, so you could get an unbiased view of the software, and play with the online demo. As you say their are other CMS systems available. But Site@School is designed for your requirements, and IMHO easy to setup and use.
And their is no need for FrontPage, or any web design skills.
home99
Grafter

Many thanks - guess I will download and have a crack at it.
Dave
Having downloaded it I now realise you have to install it on a server - I was hoping I could run it on my laptop at home to test and evaluate. 
samuria
Grafter

If you are with plus net then you have bags of free webspace on most accounts so why not use that.
If you cant create a website ask the kids even 5 year old can do it now
home99
Grafter

Webspace isnt a problem and to be honest the school's website needs to be accurate, concise and easy to use, otherwise it may reflect badly on the school.  Hence the reason I am not letting 5 year olds loose on it!
Dave
samuria
Grafter

many schools use 5 year olds(well 10 year+ old) as it show off the skills of the school and its pupils naturally its censored by staff.
home99
Grafter

Its a nursery school so that option isnt going to work I am afraid.
Dave
home99
Grafter

Hi PJ,
Our support for IT equipment comes from the county council and as we are only a small nursery school, partnerships are very hard to come by.  Despite being a beacon school as we are in a poor (social) catchment area a website is not a priority (understandably) as far as investment is concerned.
The  County council also provide our internet connection and maintain our equipment.  Initial enquries with the CC aren't positive and we get the feeling we are left to our own devices - as I said its not really a priority.  I will however contact the CC education team (or similiar) to see what they suggest.
Dave
home99
Grafter

PM sent.
Many thanks
Dave