cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safeguard not working even though showing as active.

NeilK
Hooked

Safeguard not working even though showing as active.

Hi

I have been using safeguard for a number of months now and has been working fine... However this week, even though it is showing as active it doesn't seem to be blocking the categories or websites on the block lists...

Has anyone else had the same problem? Customer service said they are not aware of any problems...

28 REPLIES 28
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Safeguard not working even though showing as active.

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Fibre Broadband to Everything Else.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Percy2
Dabbler

Yes, seeing similar issues to you. Safeguard is ON, but some well known adult sites are not being blocked.

I have also added specific sites to the block sites list and these are just ignored.

NeilK
Hooked

Was it working before? Mine was l working fine up n until about a week ago..
Percy2
Dabbler

Yes, it was 'good to go'. I had added quite a few sites to the blocked list and none were accessible and none of the mainstream adult sites.
As it happens I installed Eero mesh wi-fi about a week ago, which required Wi-fi on the router to be turned off and the router to be re-started and it was then that I noticed. I thought it was the Eero install that had upset something even though it only dangles of one of the router's ethernet ports and picks up it's DNS settings from the router.
So I have turned off Safeguard, disconnected Eero and then turned Safeguard back on and get the same no-blocked results with just a wired PC, some sites blocked others not.

What is odd is that some sites, that are supposed to be blocked, may partially show in a 'text' form without graphics with a non structured layout. All a bit bizarre TBH.

tcj1971
Rising Star

Looks like a few of us are having the same problem with Safeguard suddenly not working

It is so annoying. It was torture in 2018 when the same thing happened. It took them many months to sort Safeguard out on my account 😞

Anybody heard anything? I have a support ticket open on my account but it has not been answered yet

NeilK
Hooked

I have a ticket open and no reply yet either...annoying
tcj1971
Rising Star

A ticket was raised on April 1st about Safeguard not working and I have still not heard nothing. Meanwhile all these dodgy websites are accessable on our internet....not good enough😞

I am also now getting a Error Message on my account page

An error has occurred

There's currently an issue with your account, meaning you can't make any changes to your services. Give us a call on 0800 432 0200 and we'll see if we can help.

What is going on at Plusnet. It really is a bad service we are getting here

SWLBristol
Dabbler

I've discovered I have the same problem, I thought it was because I'd replaced my Hub One with a BT Business Smart Hub but it's not, something definately not working at Plusnet's end.  It was working fine for me up until last week and if it wasn't for changing the hub over 2 days ago I would have had no idea it wasn't working now.  I'll raise it with plusnet and hopefully it can be quickly fixed!

KSS

Same problem, reported over a week ago and no response from Plusnet.  Very poor service and on the verge of cancelling due to unsafe internet access for the family

adamskirton
Dabbler

Hi 

Been having similar problems with Safeguard not working … first noticed around 7th April 2021.

I appreciate and applaud Plusnet staff like Alex, Tayyard, Miguel etc have all tried hard to help via phone email and text … but they now admit it is a problem at their end and the internal team are working on it.

They say I might be able to resolve it by getting a new router and changing my DNS … not sure how to do that! Apparently, there is only one type of router available to those of us on Fibre and it won’t currently block out inappropriate content. I’m told a non-fibre router may be able to work, so am considering that option … I’d rather be slower and safer!

Having given Plusnet a month to resolve the matter I’m seriously considering changing to another provider who is able to protect my family. I left before some years ago when a similar thing happened.

A manager is phoning me back tomorrow to see if they can waive the termination fee.

I'm in contact with a lot of other very concerned people and will also be writing to my MP.

At a time when young people are suffering severe mental health issues, committing horrendous crimes and even committing suicide due to accessing inappropriate online content, protecting families should be the priority for internet providers.

Rev Adam Skirton

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Duplicate posts removed as per Forum Rules.
Tags (1)
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@adamskirton Just a minor point - but repetitive posting of the same comment are not really appreciated, and serve no real purpose - other than to annoy others.

John
tcj1971
Rising Star

@jab1 

He could be annoyed that nothing is getting done about Safeguard like the rest of us, but then again he could be on his phone posting his message.Done this before myself on other forums when you think you haven't posted a reply due to your sceen hanging, so you keep pressing submit post

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

He could be, @tcj1971 - but FOUR times? I appreciate that for those this affects, it is frustrating, to say the least, but those entries were subtly 'modified' to avoid a possible 'repetitive post' filter, which does exist on some forums, but not, AFAIK, this one.

Bad etiquette, anyway.- and from a man of the Church.

John
adamskirton
Dabbler

Hi John

I do apologise ... confess this is my first venture into this sort of thing and i thought it was like i was emailing separate people ... think am starting to get the idea how this thing works Smiley ... I'm glad I got called away, otherwise I'd have 'replied' to even more people!! ...sorry for any upset caused

Adam