Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reward card site issues possible fraud.

mazie2020
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Reward card site issues possible fraud.

Hi

We received an email seemingly from Plusnet to advise that we could now claim our reward card but, when we clicked on the link, we got a warning to say that the sites certificate had expired and we should close the web page as someone may be trying to steal our information. There was another link in email but following that gave the same result.

My question is; is the site compromised, or is it okay to ignore the warning and go ahead?

Thanks,

Tony

6 REPLIES 6
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: Reward card site issues possible fraud.

Is the link to purecard.com?  That's who Plusnet use for the reward cards.

Are you using a Mac?  There is another report on here about someone having certificate issues with a number of sites, to which someone has posted a link to there being an issue with some older mac versions and a root certificate having expired the other day.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mazie2020
Hooked

The error message cites plusnetrewards.com as being the problem site. I am using a mac, and also tried on an iphone.
“Your connection is not private
Attackers might be trying to steal your information from www.plusnetrewards.com (for example, passwords, messages or credit cards). Learn more
NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID”
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

That's interesting.  I can access it from some devices but not others.  On one I can't I can see lets encrypt is being used, which I think was mentioned in the article on the other post I mentioned.  I wonder if it's related

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

The article I was referring to is this one: https://mjtsai.com/blog/2021/09/24/some-web-sites-will-stop-working-with-el-capitan-and-older/

And this came from this thread: https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Privacy-Error-Won-t-Go-Away/m-p/183186...

mazie2020
Hooked

After reading the info posted above I decided to try to access the page using a Chrome browser on a Linux box, got straight in, no problems, card on it's way!f

Thanks for the help pjmarsh

EvilDan

Screenshot 2021-10-13 at 06.49.04.pngThe issue is that the certificate for the website is expired hence the security warning.  You can bypass this on any web browser - even one that warns you.  However this means the website does not log the website as being secure and you are required to input your personal details on an unsecured website.

Has anyone at Plusnet actually seen this thread and passed on this issue with the website certificate so that it can be used securely?