Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet webspace maintained by person now deceased

FIXED
mandyshaw
Hooked

Plusnet webspace maintained by person now deceased

Hello

The domain chandos-singers.co.uk, which I understand you host, is currently registered to a person who is now deceased. I would like to take it over. I do not know the basis on which it is hosted, and am happy to move it elsewhere if it is turns out to be associated with a Plusnet broadband account (I am not a Plusnet customer). Please advise how I can sort this out. Thank you.

Mandy Shaw, Secretary, Chandos Singers of Bath | www.chandos-singers.co.uk / www.chandossingers.co.uk

9 REPLIES 9
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Plusnet webspace maintained by person now deceased

I'm not sure there's a lot you're going to be able to do without authority of the account holder or an appropriate attorney.

Assuming the group had prior affiliation with this domain (and it was simply managed by an involved person that has since passed), then you may be able to get some traction by writing to us and explaining the background/situation.

You can also try contacting Nominet directly (authority for all .uk domains) to see if they have a process for handling situations like this.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

mandyshaw
Hooked

Many thanks for this, much appreciated.

Sorry to ask a follow-up but you suggest I write to Plusnet, can you advise an email or postal address please? I cannot find either anywhere on the Plusnet website.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Fix

@mandyshaw Postal Address: Plusnet plc, The Balance, 2 Pinfold Street, Sheffield, S1 2GU.

John
mandyshaw
Hooked

Many thanks.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

You can also try contacting Nominet directly (authority for all .uk domains) to see if they have a process for handling situations like this.

I believe you will need to use Nominet to transfer the domain. Normally you need the authority of the old owner and the new owner. In this case the authority of the old owner will rest with the deceaseds executor.

You have up to one year to transfer the domain 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi @mandyshaw

Do you know any of the account details for the domain? 

If you can drop me a private message, I'll be happy to see what I can do though I can't promise anything at this stage. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mandyshaw
Hooked

Many thanks everyone, I don't have any account details and have decided (given that the website is currently simple HTML and that I have easy access to hosting) to only worry about the domain and to go down the Nominet route to get that transferred.
Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 11

Not vaguely similar circumstances but when I closed my Company I found I couldn't transfer the Company domain name to myself as an individual. I took this up with Nominet who explained all I had to do to prove ownership, not easy as Companies House said the business had ceased trading. After numerous emails, back and forth, I eventually got the domain ownership transferred.
Nominet wanted to help and were very helpful and all the way through I dealt with the same person, so give them a call and explain the situation...

mandyshaw
Hooked

Thanks again everyone, can I just say this is a great forum!