Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet protect installation error

djh22
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Plusnet protect installation error

I've done a factory reset on my Sony Vaio and now trying to reinstall Plusnet Protect, I've downlooaded the file from my account and have noted the reg number but half way through the instalation I get this error message - Any ideas please.

PN Protect error.jpg

19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Plusnet protect installation error

@djh22 - Are there x86 and x64 variants of this product? If you have a 64bit OS then maybe you need that version or vice versa. Just a thought.

djh22
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Mook, yea that's also my thoughts but I can't see where PN give us the choice of which to download.

Cheers anyway.

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @djh22,

Initially I'd check that the factory reset has fully removed the all of the previous files for Protect. You can try following this McAfee guide to make sure it didn't leave anything in the back ground and then try re-installing again.

It might also be worth confirming if the OS is one of these after the reset:

Windows XP (32 bit)

Windows Vista (32 and 64 bit)

Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit

Windows 8 & 8.1 (32 and 64 bit)

Windows 10 (32 and 64 bit)

If it isn't I don't believe protect will install properly, if at all. 

djh22
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Jolo but no luck I'm afraid, It's defo 64 bit OS and I've just run MGPR, tried reinstalling PN protect and get exactly the same message. I guess I'll just unsubscribe to the product and look for something else. Avg free installs ok but I can't se that I'm happy with it.

Ta anyway,

Del.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @djh22,

Thank you for using the removal tool and for trying to reinstall Plusnet Protect again. I'm sorry to hear that this hasn't resolved the problem. I've refreshed the Plusnet Protect component on your account to try and resolve the problem. If it still won't download now that the component has been refreshed and you change your mind about looking for someone else, please let us know as we'll be able to escalate this to McAfee for further investigation.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

@djh22

Hi again Del (we were both on the BT forums, well I was years ago, but I digress)

Are you sure the reset hasn't 'kicked in' the original pre installed McAfee that often gets bundled with laptops etc.?

I'd look for files called McAfee and uninstall them. But the removal tool should have done that already.

Then see if PN's version will reinstall. You may need to uninstall AVG to allow PN's offering to install....?

Having said that, personally I'd use the free microsoft antivirus - MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) or if you're on W10, then it's called Windows Defender Security Centre.

If you want the green tick by the URL's then McAfee safe search might work with MSE/WDSC.

I personally stopped using McAfee (now Intel I believe) products years a go.

djh22
Aspiring Pro

Hi DS, yea I remember you from BT,among others I seem to remember us both on a lengthy thread about BT not having online usage pages.Nice to meet you again.

Anyway - Yea the re-install did put on a trial version of Mcafee but I uninstalled it before trying to install PN protect and the removal tool did not find any remnants of it

Also thanks for reminding me about MS Security essentials, I might give it a try.

Best,

Del.

djh22
Aspiring Pro

Hi Emily, Just updated my Laptop to the latest .net framework then tried installing PN protect again and with the same result I'm afraid.It downloads OK but the problem happens during the instalation process.

Del.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Yeah @djh22, them were the days!! Wink

So after removing the trial version, did you search the www for the McAfee removal tool (MCPR)?

And did you run it!!?

If you did, then (after a quick search myself for 'McAfee removal tool' (without the quotes)) did you know about the following:

How to remove McAfee products from a PC running Windows
Document ID: TS101331
Summary
This article describes how to remove or uninstall a McAfee Consumer product from a PC running Windows using the standard Windows removal steps and the McAfee MCPR tool.

To remove from a Mac, see TS101226.
To remove from a PC running Linux, see TS101168.
To remove from iOS or Android, see TS101407.

Solution
IMPORTANT: If your McAfee product came preinstalled on your PC:

Activate your McAfee subscription before you try to remove your product.
This is so that you keep your right to use the product (license) without having to buy a new subscription.
To activate the McAfee software that came preinstalled, see TS102477.

(my bold)

I'll admit, this prompt/warning was never there when I last used a McAfee/BTNP+ product.

I would guess to think that attempts you're making must be seen by PN. If you really want to use it, then they may need to dig deeper.

MSE isn't that bad. It uses far less processing power than what BTNP+/PNP/McAfee do when it scans.

Good luck (and see you around no doubt;))

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @djh22,

I'm sorry to hear that hasn't resolved the issue. I've now raised this issue to be passed along to McAfee for further investigation and we should receive a further update regarding the progress of this within the next 72 hours and I'm sorry for any inconvenience that this may have caused.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
djh22
Aspiring Pro

Thanks DS, I'll check that out again.

djh22
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Alex H, I'll wait a while and see if the escalation to Macafee helps.Please keep me informed.

Del.

DS
Seasoned Champion

No problem Del Smiley

If you still can't sort it, don't forget to install some antivirus whilst you're waiting for PN to come back to you!!

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Cheers for your patience with this djh22, we'll let you know as soon as we have an update for you. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team