cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Protect/Norton Security: How to turn off all cookie deletion after Scan?

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Plusnet Protect/Norton Security: How to turn off all cookie deletion after Scan?

Fair enough, @WildGarden . My experience predates yours though - I started off before home PCs existed.

John
WildGarden
Hooked

Re: Plusnet Protect/Norton Security: How to turn off all cookie deletion after Scan?

Bet you miss the old mainframes like a hole in the head.  My specialty was HP machines then Unix.

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 12

Back in 1980 I was running the Companies new Data General Box. When I was offered the job i forgot to mention that I'd never seen a computer........

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Not at all, although my job when I was working was more to do with application specifying and development.

@WildGarden wrote:

Bet you miss the old mainframes like a hole in the head.  My specialty was HP machines then Unix.

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

@Champnet 

notice anything about my profile picture?

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

Given your question I guess I should but I don’t…

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

Before the dawn of time I used to work for DG, based in Feltham.

WildGarden
Hooked

Snap - I went for my job interview for computerised Project Management Systems having never seen a computer.  The interviewer asked me if I knew anything about Networks.  I said that I did not realising she was talking about work activity networks and not the SMP mathematical networks I had learnt at school.  Surpsisingly I got the job, did quite a bit of international support travel and ended up living in Dusseldorf then Los Angeles.  Funny enough I'm much more content since retirement pottering around wih Family History and Gardening.  Its nice to know there are helpful people on this forum.  Not only was my post the first ever on this forum, it is my first post on any forum!

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

@Dan_the_Van  I can see the logo now but don’t remember it being in colour…

We had a Nova 3 with 32kb memory & 8 x 5Mb drives (3 fixed, 3 removable)

OS was RDOS 

Times have certainly moved on………….

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

3 fixed, 3 removable should read 4 fixed, 4 removable. Took 2 of us to carry the 8 disk backup.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@Champnet 

I started on Nova system and finished on AviioN (unix based) when we parted company at their request in 1992.

The days before winchester disk drives, we had to deal with disk drive head crashes 😬

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

@Dan_the_Van  In the end the Nova was replaced with a MicroVAX and on my desk my pride and joy was a VAXmate, but that’s another story for another day..

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

@Dan_the_Van  Thinking back, our site was based on the East Coast and the 'local' DG Engineers came from Birmingham - about 150 miles away. Feltham does ring a bell, I guess you supplied the kit to our parent company which at the time was the Rank Organisation based at Whyteleafe, Surrey

@WildGarden  We all forgot to welcome you to the forum so welcome to the forum........

WildGarden
Hooked

Thank you,

It's been fun and I even got my initial question fully answered. 

So many memories came back from my career days - just remembered the twin mainframes sitting in the chilled room in the basement of our old building which was built on the site of a medieval black friary.  People had seen ghost monks there, so one of the mainframes was personalised with a life sized plastic skeleton as a reminder.

WildGarden
Hooked

... Oh dear, you must think me very random... Forgot to add the punchline to my last post.  The joker who placed the human skeleton next to the IBM mainframe must have had some computing foresight for the Mainframe was practically dead a few years later...and thus ladies & gentleman we mostly use PCs in some flavour today.