cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Protect/Norton Security: How to turn off all cookie deletion after Scan?

WildGarden
Hooked

Plusnet Protect/Norton Security: How to turn off all cookie deletion after Scan?

Norton scan deletes all cookies after scan, which is so annoying and time-consuming having to enter all your cookie preferences again for each website visited.   Norton 365 shows a simple option of using Settings to disable the auto-delete but this is not availble through the Plusnet version of Norton.  (Also seems Norton Help online isn't availble to Norton Customers can login in but not chat)  Please can someone help?  (Have tried contacting Plusnet Support, but the person I spoke to knew nothing about Norton  and suggested I phone Norton USA at £8.32 per minute or simply just uninstall Norton - this call was closed before I could even reply)

Tags (3)
29 REPLIES 29
Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Plusnet Protect/Norton Security: How to turn off all cookie deletion after Scan?

I ditched Norton years ago and wouldn't install it even though it's free. If you're on Windows, have you considered Windows Defender which is among the top choices in independent tests? It works away quietly and hasn't interfered with anything in the few years I have been running it.

Mike

WildGarden
Hooked

Re: Plusnet Protect/Norton Security: How to turn off all cookie deletion after Scan?

Thank you for your helpful suggestion.  I see that Windows Defender comes as standard with Windows 11 but I've only just upgraded to Windows 10 and cannot find a downloadable version so may try Avast.  I had Norton too some years ago and hated how it made my PC so painfully slow it is almost unusuable.  Same again now that Plusnet are recommending that their customers install it.  Shall delete Norton ASAP.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to Everything Else

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

@WildGarden I'm fairly certain Windows Defender is installed by default on W10.

John
Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 12

@jab1  You’re right….

WildGarden
Hooked

I haven't read the help in detail for Defender on Windows 10 but seem to recal seeing it mentioned that a Defender Antivirus App is still needed to interface with the built in Windows Defender.  I am using Avast with no problems so far speed or cookie wise.  Thanks for all the responses.

jab1
Legend

@WildGarden Could you find that information and post a link? - I suspect it is erroneous information. I don't use MS OS's, but I've never seen that on the MS systems I used to maintain for others.

John
WildGarden
Hooked

This is one of the places I saw it yesterday https://www.security.org/antivirus/windows-10/  under the expansion of question "Does Windows 10 need Antivirus?" it gives answer "Although Windows 10 has built-in antivirus protection in the form of Windows Defender, it still needs additional software, either Defender for Endpoint or a third-party antivirus. That is because Windows Defender lacks endpoint protection as well as full-service investigation and remediation of threats."   (thank goodness tht Firefox history allows you to retrieve the infomation requested literally from the hundreds of webistes visited yesterday trying to find an answer to my probem before resorting to the forum.

jab1
Legend

Without getting too technical, that doesn't really apply to a home user, it is aimed at business users, and from my reading of it, includes sales pitches for the company's products. There must be millions of users who don't even know what half of that means. In any case, again for the home user or those with only a basic understanding of computer security, adding 'extra' AV can cause more problems than it solves, as it will cause conflicts.

John
jab1
Legend

Additional info: If you want a 'second opinion' from an application that doesn't conflict with Defender, try installing Malwarebytes: https://www.malwarebytes.com/solutions/free-antivirus

John
Champnet
Aspiring Hero

Let's end the myth that endpoint security is the final fontier between good and evil.
Endpoints are devices, usually a lot of them, controlled centrally usually on a server. A setup most home users won't need.
As a retired IT Pro I personally find windows defender and malwarebytes sufficient.

jab1
Legend

Thanks, @Champnet . I'm not an IT 'pro', but I've spent long enough around the computer world to know what a home user needs - 30+ years in a high-security 'industrial' environment, plus around 15 as a home user as well.

I totally agree with what you say.

John
Champnet
Aspiring Hero

In addition I use Malwarebyte's Windows Firewall Control to check and control outgoing traffic, something home grade routers don't do. It's free but needs expertise and care to get right as It amends group policies. Not necessary but I still enjoy a challenge......

WildGarden
Hooked

I'm also a retired IT pro too having spent nearly 20 years in the business when the infant PC came with 2 floppy drives and no hard disk!  Things have moved on a bit since I worked, hence getting opinions on this forum.