cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Firewall issue

kissinuk
Grafter

Plusnet Firewall issue

I'm getting an error when I try to change the PN firewall settings - "An error occurred. Please try again soon."

It was working fine when I changed it last week, any idea what is going on? I've tried mobile devices & my desktop.

94 REPLIES 94
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Plusnet Firewall issue

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to Everything Else

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @kissinuk,

I'm sorry to hear you've run into this issue. When you attempt to change the firewall settings, how far can you get before you receive this error message? If you're using the same browser on your mobile devices and the desktop, sometimes they'll have a shared cache and cookies - please could you try clearing the cache and cookies and then attempt this again?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
kissinuk
Grafter

Hi @TheMightyAJ,

It happens as soon as you press the 'Save changes' button (it spins for a while then says "An error occurred").

Happens on all the browsers I have tried - desktop & mobile.

Tony on the Twitter support team managed to recreate this issue, however it is still happening for me and it appears my firewall has now been turned off and I can't turn it back on!

Thanks,

Paul.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks a lot for getting back to us on this. I've just been made aware that this issue will be affecting a number of customers, and has been raised on our end. We don't have an estimated resolution time just yet, but our team are working on resolving the issue as soon as possible. Smiley

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
akrypzs
Dabbler

I have the same issue that I cannot modify the broadband firewall settings.  In my case I wish to turn the firewall off entirely to prove if Plusnet are blocking certain ports/sites (e.g. salus-it500.com) which I have been unable to access since the morning of 2nd November.  Disconnecting Plusnet connectivity and using a tethered connection to my mobile allows the site to be reached immediately.  I have also tried different routers and performed a factory reset of the router to no avail.

Could the issue with the firewall adjustment and my difficulty in reaching the desired site be related?

Is there any update as to progress in resolving the firewall issue?

kissinuk
Grafter

I have been told it is ongoing but that's it. This is a real problem now, my firewall says it is off but port 443 is still blocked so I can't access my own VPN. I think it is still set to High, and changing still gives the same error.

Please can we have an update?
james33
Dabbler

I am having same problem. Plusnet firewall configuration is off. Shields up shows port 443 is close (still block). Previously I was able to access my home vpn when plusnet firewall is set to Block common ports except HTTP and HTTPS.  I cannot change and save setting,  error message.

I am getting annoyed because I am unable to surf safely when on public wifi without vpn.  Perhaps it is time to move isp.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

I am really sorry for the ongoing issues with the firewall. Our teams are aware of this and working to investigate further.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience caused in the meantime.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
james33
Dabbler

How long does the team need to solve this firewall problem.  One, two or three months?

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

I'm afraid that we don't have any updates available to share at this time, however our teams are aware of the issue and are continuing to investigate the matter. Please accept my deepest apologies for any inconvenience that may have been caused in the meantime.

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

port 443 is still blocked so I can't access my own VPN

Is it possible to change the VPN Client connection port on the devices you are using to connect to your VPN Server? say from 443 to 50000?

Then set up a port forward rule on your router to map outside connections on 50000 to 443 on the LAN side of the router.

So the VPN Client connection would follow this path. Your Public IP Address port 50000 to Static IP Address of VPN Server on port 443.

This would bypass the firewall restriction for port 443.

Hope this helps? 

Dan.

james33
Dabbler

Thanks for your interesting answer which I have considered.  I understand that port 443 is most unlikely to be block from public wifi, hotels etc, whereas other ports might be block. My current setup is to open the plusnet firewall (block common ports but allow https and http) and close it at my account level for addition security if not needed. Port 443 is forwarded to 1194 on my vpn router which worked perfectly until plusnet firewall develop a problem. The current setting on plusnet firewall is OFF. Shieldsup show that all common ports are still block.

I am sure other people who play on line games are having problems because of this firewall problem.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Firewalls are in place to BLOCK INBOUND connections to a private LAN from the Internet and I would expect all the commons ports to be closed unless a port forward rule has been setup. My Members Centre Firewall is set to LOW and I see these common ports closed.

Screenshot 2021-11-24 100729.png

If you have a port forward rule set up then the device to which the port forward rule is pointing must be listening for connections.

A shields up check for www.bbc.co.uk you get.
bbc.png

For the BBC Port 80 and 443 are open for http and https connections.

I use WireGuard VPN running on a raspberry pi it uses UDP and works very, I'm not using the default port of 1194.

Dan.

kissinuk
Grafter

Thanks for the reply, I'm pretty sure my firewall is set to "high" so presumed all other ports such as 50000 would be blocked too?