cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Static IP

Wolksby

New to Static IP

Hi, I've recently migrated from EE to Plusnet, mainly because I wanted a Static IP, rather than Dynamic. I recall it was a one-off extra payment, which I paid, so assume it's up and running. Previously, I had a lot of trouble updating my website, as it's IP was constantly changing (Dynamic), which meant that I then needed to get the latest IP white-listed, to use. Since I've started with Plusnet, I've been able to upload to my website without any problem ata ll, so assume that the Static IP is in place.

I also have had problems with accessing my Hikvision CCTV camera and NVR online, because this seemed to lose connection frequently, and which the Static IP should help fix. As yet, I've not been able to amend any previous settings to take account of the change from Static to Dynamic, but hopefully should be able to address this.

Sorry for the background above, but it will help, I think, in explaining my question.

According to my network setting (Windows 10 64 Professional) the PC shows that it is still set up for a Dynamic IP (I think!). These are the two relevant pages:

The tcpip/ipv4 Properties are showing as:

General

• Obtain an IP address automatically

O     Use the following IP address

These three boxes –  IP address / Subnet mask / Default gateway – are greyed out

• Obtain DNS server address automatically

O     Use the following DNS server addresses

These two boxes – Preferred DNS server / Alternate DNS server – are greyed out, as is ‘Validate settings upon exit’.

Alternate Configuration

If this computer is used on more than one network, enter the alternate IP settings below.

• Automatic private IP address

O     User configured

Everything below this is greyed out.

Do I have to amend, or add anything to these settings, or will the fact that AUTOMATIC, rather than MANUAL is set elsewhere, the PC itself will 'know what to do', now that it's hopefully linked to a Static, rather than Dynamic IP?

I'm no IT expert, so any help/advice gratefully received. Thanks!

15 REPLIES 15
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: New to Static IP

@Wolksby The setting on the Windows PC is correct, it is referring the IP address of the PC on the local network, the other addresses DNS and Gateway are also automatic so you don't need to set anything up..

That has nothing to do with the Plusnet Static IP that you have purchased, that is the IP Address that the router is allocated by Plusnet to connect to the Internet known as the WAN (Wide Area Network) IP address. 

It is possible to set up static addresses on the local network that may help your CCTV issue but they have to be set up in the devices not at the PC.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Everything Else

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Wolksby

Hi RealAleMadrid,

Many thanks for your prompt response - very much appreciated.

With your explanation, I think I am now getting grips with this aspect of using a PC.

May I just please confirm one thing you said?

It is possible to set up static addresses on the local network that may help your CCTV issue but they have to be set up in the devices not at the PC.

In terms of my NVR, to which my CCTV camera is connected, does this involve the Configuartion screen on the NVR, or do I also have to make any internal changes to my Plusnet router?

In the original installation of the CCTV, I recall this involved Port Forwarding, but the configuration and settings then applied to the EE Router I was currently using.

Many thanks in anticipation!.

starfry
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Think of it like two networks like islands with a bridge inbetween them - the internet on one side and your home network on the other with you router inbetween.

Your Plusnet static ip is your router's IP address on the internet. The only advantage (and it's a big advantage) that having a static IP gives you is that your router is addressable from the internet using an address that doesn't change. This allows you to run services on your network and make them accessible to the internet on a predictable known IP address that doesn't change.

Your internal network is typically assigned a "private" address space (usually beginning 192.168 but it can be 172.16 or begin with 10). Your router manages this network and hands out addresses using something called DHCP to any devices that ask for one using DHCP (most things will do this). It should manage a name database (a DNS) so you can refer to internal devices using names rather than these IP addresses (they're dynamic and can change, the D in "DHCP").

You can configure DHCP always give the same IP to the same device (it recognises devices using another identifier called a MAC address that is (mostly but not always) burned into the network interface's hardware. Or youcan configure devices to not use DHCP but choose their own "static" ip address - you just need to make sure that (a) the address is in the network's address space and (b) it isn't in the range used by the DHCP server

The final bit of the puzzle is the router translates network addresses between the internal and internet networks. This is called NAT and happens when you use, say, a web browser so the responses come back to your machine and not some other one on your network. You can configure your router to route inbound requests to an address on your internal network so that you could then access, say, a webserver or CCTV camera from outside your network. This requires you opening a port on your router's firewall and telling it to forward inbound data received on a port (e.g. 80 for http) to a specific host on your network that is running the relevant server.

Don't know if that helps or is too much information Smiley

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

You'll need to set up port forwarding from the router (which has the static external IP) to the CCTV.  The PN routers can port forward using the device identifiers which you'll see on the local network map.

Sorry for not providing pics to explain this but I moved off the PN router several months back,

pvmb
Aspiring Pro

...I see this subject has come up again.

Static IPs now seem to be the default on Plusnet for all users AFAICS (this seems to have been disputed by some in the past). I have had the same IP now for months, if not years. Rebooting the router does not change it. I, and others, are not too keen on this.

I can't remember now but was't it introduced to cope with something else?

Is there any way around it - that is to have a dynamic IP as previously?

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@pvmb Static IPs - AFAIK - are not the default for all users. As has been explained previously, you can end up with the same IP because of 'localisation'. The explanation is out there somewhere, but because it doesn't worry me, I'll let you go and find it if you want to.

As a point of interest, I recently had a short spell of router reboots caused by DLM re-adjusting my connection after it had been down for a couple of hours and it reconnecting at too high a speed/too low an SNR - it did this three times in about 8 hours, and each time I  got completely different IPs.

Also, unrelated, but still relevant, I am moving to Zen in the near future, and noticed that they give you a static IP by default - I haven't seen many of their customers complaining, and I certainly won't be.

John
pvmb
Aspiring Pro

Thanks, jab1. Though I can find nothing useful regarding "localisation" generally or on Plusnet - beyond your use. It did remind me that it has been partially explained previously as something to do with how the 'New Plusnet Network' infrastructure works.

I may not be paying for, nor have, a guaranteed fixed IP option but, if an IP survives router reboots from minutes to hours; is the same from one day to the next, from one week to the next, from one month to the next, from one year to the next then, AFAIAC it's FIXED!

While generally being one of the less paranoid people around, the concern is privacy/security/tracking. It is also related to the associated issue of Reverse DNS. Which again, may not bother everybody, but does bother some. In effect, what with how the Plusnet system works, the default is you are telling every website you visit your Plusnet email domain name and hence username. This is known.

Try here to see: https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Now the rDNS issue can be, sort of, fixed. But you will still be showing a fixed IP (lesser of two evils?).

Searching the Plusnet forum shows fixed IP and rDNS is a much discussed issue. Also, not really resolved?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

In effect, what with how the Plusnet system works, the default is you are telling every website you visit your Plusnet email domain name and hence username. This is known.

Dynamic IP's (even 'sticky' fixed ones) do not not reveal your domain. The rDNS is of the form <ip address>.dyn.plus.net (maybe .com) AFAIK.

True Static IP's do, by default, have an rDNS of <accountname>.plus.com but could be changed to <ip address>.plus.com on request

In fact checking the rDNS is the simplest way of checking whether you truly have a static IP or Not

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@pvmb -my use of the term may well be unique to me, but it was the best way I could think of describing it at the time, and yes, somewhere on this forum is a better explanation of how it works in conjunction with the 'New' network.

As I said in an earlier post, I had three network reboots within a shortish time-frame when my connection had been off for a while, but got a different IP on each occasion, which was a bit of a surprise to me to be honest. Prior to that, I had the same one for 210 days - but that was because my connection had been solid for that length of time, and would hopefully have remained so, had it not been for my electricity supplier insisting I had a 'Smart' meter installing to avail myself of a 'cheap' deal.

The downtime I reported was so long, BTW, because even when the installer checked for a signal prior to starting work and discovered (as I informed him he would) that there was no signal, he was told by the 'Network Team' to 'make it work' he was unable to do so, despite following their instructions. Should have been 30 minutes max, but he had to waste half an afternoon on a pointless exercise.

Personally, I find the paranoia about tracking a little worrying, and according to the site you linked above all these other sites see is an IP - not mine, BTW, - which ends ',dyn.plus.net' - no reference whatsoever to my username or email domain.

The searches you reference are only related to those on a 'genuine' fixed IP, where they have specifically requested and been given one, as such addresses are allocated from a 'reserved' pool, over a different network within PN.

EDIT @MisterW beat me to it.

John
Wolksby

This is (for me!) fascinating reading, because while I am fairly-computer-literate, as in any jargonese, it's easy to bander around all sorts of acronyms etc, where I have some idea of what they mean, but your considered response has really given me a clearer incite into not just 'what I need to do', which is fine when your PC is being remotely controlled by an IT person, but more importantly, WHY!

With regards the Static/Dynamic IP issue, which was my original theme, and concern, somehow I have manged to have constant contact with my CCTV system, both in Live View, and Remote Playback modes, and no longer have regular issues having to get my previous dynamic IP white-listed, simply to correct one single typo on my website.

While this has clearly been down to my recent migration from EE to Plusnet Broadband, but also to the great sense of real 'community' here, where I have been overwhelmed with support from members of the forum, and to whom I am extremely grateful.

Thank you, all!

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@pvmb wrote:

While generally being one of the less paranoid people around, the concern is privacy/security/tracking. It is also related to the associated issue of Reverse DNS. Which again, may not bother everybody, but does bother some. In effect, what with how the Plusnet system works, the default is you are telling every website you visit your Plusnet email domain name and hence username. This is known.

Try here to see: https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

I've had static IP addresses for past 15years or so - Plusnet, then Zen. I've had no worries at all. Indeed, that website points an Identifier for me that probably accounts for 13-1400 people plus around these parts. Its doesn't even have my village in it! So hardly identifying. You can use the likes of No-Ip to get a static from a dynamic. I went that way when I found out how much BT wanted per month to supply a static IP for the shop's internet connection. Why they charge per month, when the likes of Zen, Plusnet, make a one off charge, is beyond me.

With CCTV's etc, static IP is the way to go (makes setting up easier) and yet, funny enough, the app on the phone has no problem at all with finding the camera to view, even from home. Very weird.

Edit, I see you're sorted.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
pvmb
Aspiring Pro

Just for reference.

For me, the site mentioned above displays: <Plusnet User ID>.plus.com

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@pvmb in that case , for some reason, you have a true static IP.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.