Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Neighbours Cable is Plugged into our Exterior Unit

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Neighbours Cable is Plugged into our Exterior Unit

It does change things - if the recent work was by Virgin, they need to be contacted. If it was BTOR, they need to be contacted - two entirely different companies.

John
jab1
Legend

@rk1991 Who are your neighbours with, and have you ever been with Virgin?

John
rk1991
Hooked

The neighbouring house in question, I have no idea, they're a Nepalese family who don't speak good English. The opposite neighbour who suggested Virgin Media is with said company.

We've never been with VM, I try to stay away from big companies with this stuff.

jab1
Legend

OK, that does make things a bit complicated, but unfortunately you will need to talk to the neighbours, somehow, and determine who they are with. As the work was obviously done for them. To be honest, if it was Virgin, as it is looking likely, I'm a bit surprised, most of their installations I have seen are very neat.

John
jab1
Legend

@rk1991 Having looked at the photograph again - what are the white cables running up the down-pipe, and where do they go? - they don't look like normal exterior grade to me.

The other question - I can't see the end of the cable hanging over the wall - can you take a clearer picture, without disturbing anything?

John
rk1991
Hooked

Here's a close up picture. There are ports in the lounge on the opposite side of that wall, such as what my router plugs into. The cable goes up the fence and along the neighbours guttering that lines their porch. I can't remember where it goes from there without prying on their property.

jab1
Legend

It is getting late, and I'm not quite at my best, but looks a bit like a temporary fix. I assume from what I can see that the pole on the dividing wall has been there for a while - the ground between it and your external wall hasn't been disturbed for quite a while.

I'm still a little confused about that white cable - where does it start, and where does it go?

I'll be back tomorrow morning, hoping to find answers.

John
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@rk1991  You say there are ports on the inside  wall where that box is but you don't have any Virgin service so do you mean a BT telephone socket for the router. It would appear that since there is an external box on your wall a previous occupier has had virgin. The wires look a mess but are they affecting your Plusnet service in any way, I don't think so.