Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving domain away from Plusnet hosting

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Moving domain away from Plusnet hosting

I have a domain for a support group which is registered through Plusnet (it's a .org.uk domain), I have a website on homepages and forums on ccgi. The organisation has now reached a point where we want to do a total revamp of website and forums (I have a prototype running on PAYH under a different  personal domain), but also we need to take the registration and hosting away from Plusnet so that it can be worked on by people using different ISPs handed on at an appropriate time. The forums are going to be converted from phpBB to SMF, the website is going from static pages to Mambo CMS (using Mambo because of the SMF bridge). It's obviously going to take quite a few stages and I need to work out a plan which will minimise the downtime.
I think an early step would be to do the switch from phpBB to SMF while still on ccgi which can be fairly seamless.
The bit I'm not sure about is moving the domain registration which I think I will need to do before I move the hosting away from Plusnet. When I transfer the domain across to the new registrar, will all the DNS records be removed from Plusnet and will I then have to re-request hosting to get it back?
Finally, any recommendations for a registrar for a .org.uk domain?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
3 REPLIES 3
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Moving domain away from Plusnet hosting

Quote from: jelv
The bit I'm not sure about is moving the domain registration which I think I will need to do before I move the hosting away from Plusnet. When I transfer the domain across to the new registrar, will all the DNS records be removed from Plusnet and will I then have to re-request hosting to get it back?

That's how I understand it jelv.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: jelv
[Snip] Finally, any recommendations for a registrar for a .org.uk domain?

123-reg and good look with it
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

I use daily for my Domains (20 or so and not had any issues so far) with most hosted elsewhere. The DNS control is very good, are very competitive on price and respond to ticket/email queries quckly.
www.daily.co.uk