cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hosting a website at home

ora8i
Hooked

Hosting a website at home

I have full fiber so its reasonably fast, am I allowed to run a website from home?

If so do Plusnet have any doc's or 'how to's' that would be relevant? 

Thanks All.

7 REPLIES 7
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Hosting a website at home

I see no reason why you can't host one, but as Plusnet pulled out hosting quite some time ago, I would think there are very few staff who would know the first thing about it. I also doubt there is any documentation.

John
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 12

It's easy. Point your domain to your home external IP address, on the router point port at internal device running web server.  Come back if you need help......

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Moderator's note:
Thread moved from Broadband to Everything Else

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

I've been running web sites and mail servers from home for more than 20 years. If you have a reasonably fast connection (upload speed is perhaps more important than download speed) and a static IP address it can work well (you can do it with a dynamic address, but that has extra hoops to jump through).

The first step is to get your server set up - there are a number of different engines available, and it will depend on whether you are running on Windows or Linux, or another OS.

Then you need a domain, set up its DNS to point to your IP address, forward the appropriate ports to your server, and job done.

Do make sure your setup is secure - you will get hammered by wannabe hackers (my mail and web servers receive several thousand attempted logins and other probes every day).

greygit1
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Agree 100%. Keeping the s/w patched and updated is an 'overhead' that has to be built into the decision.

ora8i
Hooked

Thanks All. 

I was more concerned ghat it might be prohibited  than anything else.

Ora