Fixed IP address not responding

FIXED
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Re: Fixed IP address not responding

I think you are missing the point here.

A local connection is a local connection.

A remote connection using your domain name will used DNS to resolve the IP address.

The DNS lookups for your domain name deliver Amazon Platform IP addresses - NOT YOUR PLUSNET FIXED IP ADDRESS.

If your router is running in full stealth mode (try this - GRC | ShieldsUP! — Service Ports Probe) then even fixing the URL to IP address mapping is not going to move you forwards.  It somewhat looks like you have at least 2 issues (the first and one or more of the others)...

1. The URL is not mapped to your Plusnet fixed IP address
  2. Your preferred port (100) is not mapped to (whatever port) on your server by the router
  3. Your (non-standard) web service port on your server is not open within its local (software) firewall
  4. Your account's firewall (managed in the user portal) does not permit access to non-standard ports

Note that port 100 is not recognised for any purpose, thus the use of it might fall foul of all firewall default settings.  Port 90 is allocated to PointCast.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

It will take time for the DNS change to promulgate.

Por 90 is simply not accepting connections - run the GRC port scan tool.  You need to see port 90 responding, which requires port 90 on the router to be mapped to port 100 on your server AND your server to have port 100 open AND the webservice to be configured on port 100.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 13

If you go to https://www.whatsmyip.org/  it will confirm your home IP

in the menu on the left is an option port scanners. Select then in custom port scanner, enter 90

If it doesn’t show open then nothing you do on Go Daddy will make any difference.

For info I’ve set up a web server champnet.uk using your configuration. The Hosting site forwards the traffic  to my home IP port 90, the router port forwards external port 90 to port 100  on a Synology box running web station which is listening to port 100. All works as it should.
Info for others: A DNS check on the domain name replies with the host’s address so the forward rule is not seen.

bryanuk
Grafter
Fixes: 1

did the test and every port times out including port 90

So my router is not responding on any port.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 84

@bryanuk 

One the Hub One Advanced Settings >Firewall >Port Forwarding do you see something like

Screenshot 2023-10-15 134721.png

In my example I have used a hostname which is best as sometime the device IP Address might change which will stop the port forwarding.

Can you go to >Troubleshooting >event log and select category Firewall and post a couple of pages as a text file attachment

bryanuk
Grafter

Fix

SOLVED!!!!!!

When I looked at the device list connected to my router, my NAS drive, although was there, had lost its name (which I gave it many moons ago) and was just there as unknown device but with the correct internal IP address.

Now in the port forwarding settings, the forward entry for the NAS specified the now unknown device.  I renamed the entry in the device list to be a new name, edited the port forwarding settings to match it and voila everything burst into life!

Now the question is, and I dont think i have the energy to investigate, is why the connected device list lost the device name.

Could ii be a recent update to the Synology NAS operating system?  It has never happened before.  Could it be related to me changing the Wi-Fi channel?  who knows!.

Anyway I would like to thank everyone for their help and suggestions, we got there in the end.

Everyone can rest easy now!

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

Post deleted now irrelevant.  @bryanuk  well done. 

bryanuk
Grafter

Dan,

Just read your post after posting my fix.  I think we both got to the solution at the same time!

Just one commebt, i have set my NAs up to have the same internal IP address all the time.

So thanks for your help

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 84

Once I read you could connect locally on port 100, it could really only been the port forward rule being broken or wrong

Pleased it's fixed.

Edit: I would make sure the NAS drive is set to always use this IP Address for the given hostname.

I very much doubt the earlier theories regarding wifi would hold true.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@bryanuk 

Good to see that you have sorted your local problem.

You now need to sort the URL to fixed IP address mapping with Go Daddy.

Holmes Chapel - you are just down the road... near one of my favourite drinking hostelries - The Bottle Bank!

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

@Townman  Go Daddy redirect just needs the external IP and Port which is already set up.

bryanuk
Grafter

Townman

We have probably passed like ships in the night!

greygit1
Aspiring Pro

I've apologised for my faux-pas over on t'other thread.

Too many (personal/life) things rumbling around in the head at the moment, and occassionally a synapse misfire happens.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

The Go Daddy change appears to have now promulgated the internet and all is now working. So indeed at least two issues were present, neither of them being a Plusnet fixed IP address or router issue.

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

The OP's router had lost one of it's settings, it never was a Go Daddy problem....