Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH on YouTube

FIXED
Debs947
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Re: Suddenly unable to access YouTube

Direct link here to page where you will see Safeguard on/off button….

https://www.plus.net/my-account/safeguard/

freezey
Dabbler

Re: ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH on YouTube

@dvorak wrote:

It's odd, I wonder if YouTube has been added to some category overnight.

Raised an escalation to ask staff to have a look. 

Thanks for raising it with plusnet.  Your fix works but it's a work around to the problem.  The root cause resides in Safeguard and I'd still like to use it, rather than having to choose between Safeguard or YouTube.

SH14

Thank you Deb,

That certainly worked, although not an ideal solution so it looks like a Plusnet/Safeguard issue.

gdp007
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Safeguard/Youtube

Hello,

Late yesterday afternoon(9/5/2022) I was unable to access Youtube via my Smart TV, Windows 10 Laptop Or Ipad. I thought it was an issue with Youtube so left it overnight.

Having tried again this morning(10/5/2022) I have had the same problem. So, the issue seemed to point to something going on with Plusnet.

I noticed in my account that Safeguard was switched on. I presume this must have been set to on since I have had Plusnet Broadband. In terms of amending any of the settings, I haven't adjusted any of them. But, by setting Safeguard to Off I am now able to access Youtube.

That suggests that either Safeguard has been updated/changed or something within Youtube has changed which had affected Safeguard.

If anybody has any thoughts to offer then I would be interested to hear them. thank you.

Gary

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Safeguard/Youtube

Moderators Note

Topics on same subject merged.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
gregb491
Hooked

Re: Safeguard/Youtube

A couple of days ago. I had no problem accessing
conservativewoman.co.uk
but now I get a very similar message to the above, which states:

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to www.conservativewoman.co.uk. Peer received a valid certificate, but access was denied.

Error code: SSL_ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED_ALERT

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
    Please contact the web site owners to inform them of this problem.

I suspect that this is not just a Youtube problem.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

@freezey  I understand this should now be corrected if you want to switch safeguard back on and try it again

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
freezey
Dabbler

Thanks @dvorak looks like someone in plusnet was a little overzealous with their filter update. 

SH14

Can confirm this has now fixed my problem, thank you Dvorak

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi all, we did experience an issue with Safeguard yesterday which has since been fixed so apologies for any inconvenience caused. @gregb491 are you able to access that website now?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
gregb491
Hooked

@adamwalker wrote:

Hi all, we did experience an issue with Safeguard yesterday which has since been fixed so apologies for any inconvenience caused. @gregb491 are you able to access that website now?

No, still the same problem with plusnet mobile. The error is still:

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to www.conservativewoman.co.uk. PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
    Please contact the web site owners to inform them of this problem.

It's only this website. I can access it OK through Vodafone.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

To my knowledge, that issue only affected browsing to YouTube on our broadband service with Safeguard switched on. I've just tried going to that site on my own Plusnet mobile and it worked first time. Can you try contacting the website owner? 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
gregb491
Hooked

OK, thanks for trying. I've just tried again and get the same issue but if I switch to another supplier and try again, the site comes up OK.
I do know of others having the same issue. I know when to give up.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No worries, it could be the website inadvertently blocking the IP address. If you and other people all find out their IP by going to a site like whatismyip.com, are there any similarities? If so, raising it with the site owner is probably the way forward ^ 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Just a thought @Gandalf but is is adult content blocked on your PN mobile service? 

I have a Plusnet SIM in a rarely used tablet and I've just tried browsing to conservativewoman.co.uk on the LTE connection and it tried redirecting me to ukmobiledata.net/content_lock.html 

My guess would be that the site has somehow fallen foul of the mobile adult content filter that is separate to Safeguard.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵