Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot access my Website

Alex_Hamilton
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Cannot access my Website

I cannot access my website. I am getting message #403 "No permission - forbidden".  I suspect that my website was infected by a virus recently, but I have erased all data and uploaded new stuff.  How can I remove the "no permission" and regain access to my website?

10 REPLIES 10
Ween
Hooked

Re: Cannot access my Website

What type of website is it ? Wordpress etc ? 

Alex_Hamilton
Rising Star

I wrote it myself in HTML and uploaded to webspace given to me by Plus Net when I signed on.  I did not access it for a long time and when I tried to access it a few days ago a pop up blocked it.  The pop up was from CSVERT.IN . I could not even see the source code because it would appear withing 2 - 3 seconds. I downloaded the Index.html, found CSVERT.IN script and erased it before uploading it back to my webspace.  That stopped the pop up, but soon after I was locked out.  I have since erased everything on that website and uploaded completely new stuff, but the "Forbidden - no permission to access" persists.  Does this gives you the info. that you wanted to know?  Many thanks. Alex

RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Did you use a completely different ftp program to upload the edited files, from what you used previously (reconfigured after reinstall included)? There are some unix file permissions you need to set when uploading or as they're already there the permissions need to be changed on the server copies.
Please advise as to what ftp program you are using for further help.
That's RPM to you!!
Alex_Hamilton
Rising Star

I used Windows10 FTP by Adding Network Place in File Explorer.  That has worked in the past, but I had problems when I tried to delete everything and start again - it would not delete. So, to delete all previous files I used gFTP running in Puppy Slacko, running off an USB stick.  I have just deleted all files using gFTP and then uploaded just Index.html and I am still getting error 403. If you think that using Win10 and Linux is a problem (it never was before) I can delete all files and then use whichever FTP you think would get me out of this. Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.  Alex

RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

It's not so much what you are using for ftp but whether it's been correctly configured for unix file permissions.

I'll have to check back on the exact permissions required, as like you I've not touched our web space stuff in a long time.
That's RPM to you!!
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

As @RPMozley has already mentioned, I also suspect that this is a file permissions issue. You will need to amend the permissions on the website files so that users viewing the file have 'read' permissions. You can do this by using a more advanced FTP (like FileZilla) that can apply permissions to files (via the CHMOD command) on the server or when they get uploaded.

A quick google search gives this guide that seems to have all the info needed: http://www.dummies.com/web-design-development/wordpress/navigation-customization/how-to-change-file-...

As an aside, this issue stumped me a few years ago when I uploaded a php website to my AWS virtual machine and I received a 403 forbidden message too. Applying the correct permissions to the entire folder worked as it was basically telling the web server that it was okay for anyone to 'read' the files when visiting my website URL. The permissions were set as DENY on that so the server refused to let me (and anyone else) see the website working.

I hope this helps.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Have you made sure there aren't any hidden files (which start with a full stop) left in the directory? Specifically .htaccess which might have directives denying access to the webserver? Many FTP programs by default don't list hidden files; in these cases there is usually a settings option to list them. For example in FileZilla the last option on the Server menu - Force showing hidden files - needs to be ticked.

Hidden files need to be transferred in ASCII mode to ensure line endings are managed correctly. The best way to handle these is usually by renaming them to htaccess.txt (without a leading dot) and transfer the renamed file. Windows doesn't handle files with names starting with a dot gracefully.

HTML files and text files need to be transferred in ASCII mode, images in binary mode.

Website files uploaded to the server should go into the /htdocs folder. Files should have file permissions (octal) 0644 (-rw-r--r--) and directories 0755 (drwxr-xr-x).

David
Alex_Hamilton
Rising Star

Guys, I cannot thank you enough for all the information and advice.  I do not have FileZilla, but i will download one and use it.  I will report back in a few days.

Thanks again,

Alex

Alex_Hamilton
Rising Star

I downloaded and  FileZilla last night  and changed permissions to htdocs to 0755 and to 0644 to other files. I got full access instantly.  You are right RPMozley, the website is very old. Written in the days before digital cameras and abandoned when original host, Freeserve, stopped hosting it. It contains CGI-bin mailform, which I understand Plus net does not operate, so I did not update.  I don't know why the permissions were changed, but I followed David's instructions  and all is well now. I shall keep FileZilla - thank you jared83 for recommending it.

I am really grateful to you all for help.

Alex

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

I am glad that we were able to help in some way and you have now got access to your website back again!

Let us know if you need any advice with anything else at all Smiley

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.