cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use my own modem with Plusnet home broadband and phone? (+3 other questions)

djones
Dabbler

Re: Can I use my own modem with Plusnet home broadband and phone? (+3 other questions)

1.gif2.gif

djones
Dabbler

Re: Can I use my own modem with Plusnet home broadband and phone? (+3 other questions)

I told the Post Office before their supposed upgrade day that they should either tell me how I needed to reconfigure my modem or not go ahead with the upgrade, and that whatever happened I wasn't going to use their modem. They asked me to return it, which I did, and they advised that on the basis of what I had told them about my modem (which was limited solely to what downstream bandwidth it could handle - nobody mentioned the word "ADSL") everything would be OK with my existing modem. Then since upgrade day I have been unable to get online through my landline. All they could tell me when I called them was my PPP username and password, and not only that but they were arsy and said they didn't have full details about every single modem. I have repeatedly told them by email that reversing the "upgrade" would be fine as far as I am concerned, but they have ignored this suggestion. This and a few other things mean that I have absolutely had it up to HERE with the Post Office. I've heard good things about both PlusNet and Zen and everything being OK I will change to one of them.

Since the mobile phone signal is so poor in this area, I can't set up a hotspot using my smartphone inside the house, so I am having to go outside and sit in the car to get online. And this may be the position for 10 days - argh!

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@djones 

I was going to mention that somewhere deep in the grey matter I seemed to recall that BT Retail had stopped selling ADSL products unless there was no other option. Your screen image would also suggest my memory isn't totally gone.

I also recall that Mildenhall is one of the test exchanges for the withdrawel of services based on copper lines. As such, ADSL is no longer available to you. You have to go FTTC.

Brian

djones
Dabbler

@jab1 wrote:

https://www.plus.net/broadband/, but I I would strongly suggest you went for a Fibre option. The ADSL option uses very old technology, and, I suspect, will disappear very soon.

On that page the only options showing are Unlimited Fibre and Unlimited Fibre Extra.

djones
Dabbler

@bmc

My exchange isn't Mildenhall. It's named on the line after my telephone number, but I blanked it out because the name is of the village where I live on this Scottish island, and it's a very small place.

If ADSL is no longer available (although it was until a few days ago), then I will buy an FTTC modem/router (hopefully the combined item exists), which may at least mean I can get online from the house before the 10 days elapse, but I will switch away from the PO because I have had enough of them.

bmc
Hero

@djones 

Sorry, I assumed Mildenhall as it had been highlighted in your screen image. The following details what's happening in that Exchange.Note that other Exchanges are now involved and OR are working to cease all ADSL lines.

https://www.openreach.com/locations/mildenhall

Of course, had I actually looked at the results I would have seen that ADSL is in fact available. If the Post Office are migrating services to FTTC then it's prossible you do have an internet service, just no FTTC (VDSL) modem/router.

Briam

djones
Dabbler

@bmc wrote:

If the Post Office are migrating services to FTTC then it's prossible you do have an internet service, just no FTTC (VDSL) modem/router.

Given that I don't like sitting in this car, what I may do is buy an FTTC modem/router and then before the 10 days it takes to switch to another ISP are up I'll be able to find out whether there is still internet on my landline supplied by the PO.

If I may pick your brains some more, would a TP-Link TD-W9970 v4  modem/router do the job, with an FTTC connection, to be plugged into my "ADSL" filter the same way my current modem is (to which physically it looks very similar)?

Thanks for your help!

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@djones Yes, the TD-W9970 would do the same job as your current model, with the advantage that it could be used for ADSL or VDSL connection - whichever way you decide to go.

John
bmc
Hero

@djones 

The ADSL filter will work on FTTC lines.

If you're buying a new modem/router make sure it's one you're happy to use going forward. If you switch ISP's then you'll be supplied with their chosen model which might be fine for you. Note, you'll also need to know your Post Office settings so you can configure whatever you buy.

Brian

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Whilst the TD-W9970 will work (and is cheap!) , its a pretty basic unit with no Gigabit LAN connections and only N300 Single band wifi. @djones if your requirements are basic then fine, but if budget allows , you may be better off in the long term going for an slightly improved spec such as  the TP link VR600

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.