Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another free hosted domain issue

FIXED
Uncle_Tupelo
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Another free hosted domain issue

I along with many long standing customers was provided with a free domain and ongoing hosting services back in 2007 as compensation after a security breach. I've been using this domain as my main email address since then. There have been the odd few issues when domain renewal time comes around, but the good folks here (particularly @MisterW  and @bobpullen ) have always been really helpful in getting them resolved.

My situation is a bit different now - quick summary - moved house and couldn't take Plusnet service with me as they didn't provide FTTP at the new house, so helped me switch to BT and I remained an email only customer with Plus. When the renewal came up last year, there was a minor problem but a CS advisor set the domain up for autorenewal and all was well. I was surprised that I didn't have to pay the fee (I'd have been happy to do so as a free customer), but Plusnet covered it as per the original commitment.

This year though, I received a letter stating that  -

Your domain, a********.co.uk, will expire on 17 August 2024. This is a
notification, not a request for payment.

If you would like to renew the registration of your domain/s, give us a
call and let us know you'd like to renew.

If your domain expires fully, you'll lose access to any websites or hosted
content associated with it, and to any email addresses using it.

Please do not hesitate to get back in touch online at
http://contactus.plus.net or by phone on 0800 432 0200 if we can be of
further assistance.

I called and the advisor initially said that I'd have to transfer it to GoDaddy as Plus weren't hosting domains anymore. When I quoted the letter, he went off to checked with someone and came back saying no problem, it should autorenew and to call back if it didn't.

That seemed at odds with the letter and I'm nervous that come renewal day, I lose access to the email address that all my correspondence comes to.

I've been really happy with the Plusnet service as it has been, but I'm equally happy to pay renewal fees with Plus or to switch to another paid provider (although it's not something I'm familiar with so I see a steep learning curve coming).

Ideally I'd like things to stay as they have been as it has worked - but the key thing is I need to retain my email service with this domain address.

Apologies if TLDR, but any help or advice as always, is exceedingly welcome.

2 REPLIES 2
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 416

Re: Another free hosted domain issue

@Uncle_Tupelo my understanding is the the 'free' domains should still autorenew. I'd suggest just keeping an eye on it and if it hasn't renewed a couple of weeks prior to the expiry date, then post back here and I'm sure one of the PN help team will investigate.

As for

I was surprised that I didn't have to pay the fee (I'd have been happy to do so as a free customer), but Plusnet covered it as per the original commitment.

AIUI there's just no way with the current billing system that any charges can be made for email/domain hosting as they are legacy facilities.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Uncle_Tupelo
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Another free hosted domain issue

Fix

Thanks for that. The CS guy said they autorenew a day or two before expiry, but my memory was that it happens much earlier as you suggested. I'll keep an eye on it - much appreciated - again!