cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An offer I probably can't refuse

GDD1000
Dabbler

An offer I probably can't refuse

Because my home is in an isolated rural area I can't get fibre right up to the house, it ends at the junction box and it's copper for about two miles beyond that.  Our local government (Stormont) gave a contract to a company to provide complete fibre by installing the cables overhead on the electric poles.  That's now available to me although it's slightly more expensive.

I'm considering the move as the benefits outweigh all else.  They'll even pay my cancellation fee.

My issue is this: will Plusnet allow me to keep my e-mail addresses, even if I have to pay?

11 REPLIES 11
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: An offer I probably can't refuse

Sadly, mail only accounts are no longer available.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@GDD1000 Plusnet have stopped offering free or paid for E-mail only accounts for customers who leave. It was quite recently, around April I think. You will have to find another e-mail provider. According to posts in this thread it was the 22nd of April.

No email only accounts 

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Earlier today someone suggested opening a gmail account and synching it with your PN account so everything is copied across. 

GDD1000
Dabbler

I've taken note of what's been said however I'd like to clarify something.  On the FAQ's for leaving it does state that one can rent the domain name.  Presumably if that were the case I could keep my e-mail addresses but configure another service to use them?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there,

I'm really sorry to see you're looking at leaving us, although I appreciate full fibre is rather tempting!

From what I can see you don't have your own domain, but you've got an array of email addresses with us on our domain plus.com, which you wouldn't be able to take to another provider.

Syncing it to a Gmail account may work to backup your existing mail, but to continue to send/receive mail, you'll need to keep your account open with us and I'm afraid we can't offer you an email only account. Sad

Totally get the hassle, but sadly if you're wanting to close your account with us, you'll have to find a new email address. To future proof though and so you're not tied to a single provider, it may be worth buying a domain. 

If you've got any further queries, feel free to let me know. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gandalf  is it time to revisit my email feature request  from 2017 ?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It's a good idea, but when an account's destroyed that'll delete the email addresses, so there'd be nothing to forward.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wasn't suggesting separately forwarding each of an account's email addresses, just pointing effectively the "catch all" from the leaving customer's account domain at an external email address, ignoring any previously used mailbox or alias names.

Admittedly if a customer had a load of Plusnet email mailboxes and aliases, then they would have to do some filtering on the external destination domain - but that is trivial.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The account domain "username.plus.com" though would be deleted when the account's destroyed, so I can't see how a forward would work without a redesign of our systems and even then it may not be possible. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Anonymous
Not applicable

Perhaps the answer would be to not destroy the account, and make it an "email forwarding account", presumably similar to how an "email only account" would have persisted until recently.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Maybe, but undoubtedly mean redesigning our systems

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet