Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AlwaysOn VPN not connecting Plusnet Hub One

FIXED
Izumi

AlwaysOn VPN not connecting Plusnet Hub One

Hello,

My work laptop has recently changed VPN to AlwaysOn VPN and since the update I can no longer access my work server. My IT department have tried and tried and can't fix it, they've concluded it is to do with my router as I have been able to connect though other networks when out and about but when at home with Plusnet it doesn't work. Internet works fine, just won't connect to the VPN. I rang Plusnet and was told they don't give any advice on VPN and advised I try here. I have a Plusnet Hub One. 

I hope someone can shed some light on this as I've been stuck using my personal laptop with a left click button that's always pressed and driving me mad!!!

Thank you in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: AlwaysOn VPN not connecting Plusnet Hub One

Fix

Likely you'll need your IT Teams support on this one but...

Is your IT department able to see connection attempts from your IP addresss?

Have they any logging at their end that suggests what might be happening?

Are you able to run a traceroute to the AO VPN endpoint/IP address?

And one that you will be able to try...

Leave your router powered off for an hour or so and then power it back on. Hopefully this will assign you a different IP address which would help rule out potential issues with the one you are currently assigned.

It doesn't help you, but I have successfully used an AOVPN connection with a Hub One in the past.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Izumi

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. I switched off the router for over an hour and now it connects just fine! Thank you so much, it must have been an issue with the IP address. Thanks for all your help!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Potentially that points to an issue with AO VPN using geolocation data to permit / block connections. Not all geolocation data providers have current clean location data.

Keep a note of your external IP addresses of when it works / does not work.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.