cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL- Beyond the Hype

Archer
Grafter

ADSL- Beyond the Hype

This is a personal perspective on the possible future of my landline, which may be of background interest to others.

I live in a large village in Hertfordshire and my land line is served by, (what I believe) is the only cabinet off my exchange, not to provide broadband other than ADSL.

Openreach’s (OR) recent adverts saying, “We’ve upgraded Hertfordshire”, ring hollow, smug and annoying to my ears.

So I have looked forward to see what the future holds for my landline based on OR’s published material.

FTTP build for my exchange is due to complete by Dec 2026.  OR will consider the exchange sufficiently upgraded to stop selling copper products and initiate VOIP change over when they have hit 75% of premises.

VOIP change over is due by 2025, for premises which receive FTTC or FTTP broadband by using the SoGEA, (single order generic Ethernet access), product. Those which do not benefit from FTTP or FTTC at that time can be supplied using the SoTAP,(single order transitional access product). Those who have equipment which is not compatible with VOIP, can continue with their copper based product for upto 5 years.

Apparently SoTAP can be implemented without any engineering involvement, from which I assume it’s still ADSL.

While exercising during one of the lockdowns, I carried out a visual survey of the telecoms infrastructure in my immediate area, (sad I know). So, I estimate there are 137 premises attached to my cabinet and around 68 of these have a Virgin Media (VM) connection. This makes it rational for OR not to prioritise my cabinet for upgrade, due to the low potential number of customers, which is possibly why my cabinet missed out on FTTC last time. Thus it is possible that the same criteria will mean my cabinet may miss out again.

I could transfer to VM, but the advertised cost outside of the introductory period is beyond my purse.

In summary, despite the hype, I could still be on a copper pair to the exchange in 2030.

Such is broadband life for some who live tantalisingly within sight, (literally), of the information superhighway.

6 REPLIES 6
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: ADSL- Beyond the Hype

Those which do not benefit from FTTP or FTTC at that time can be supplied using the SoTAP,(single order transitional access product). 

I'd not heard of SoTAP, but looking at what it is, it seems like OR are completely washing their hands of providing a phone service in these circumstances. It's an LLU connection so it all down to the CP. Not sure I'd want to try and provide a VOIP service over a, potentially not very good, ADSL connection!

Those who have equipment which is not compatible with VOIP, can continue with their copper based product for upto 5 years.

Surely, any phone service must be VOIP based after the PSTN retirement in 2025...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Archer 

It is not the copper lines that are being withdrawn but the PSTN that uses them. Copper will still be used from the cabinet to houses where no FTTP exists. Whatever services are supplied to you they will be "digital" - be it phone or internet.

Have you checked recently for what services are available to you. The first link will detail OpenReach products. The second will list all services with the operators shown in the bottom left hand corner.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/

You could also check to see if OpenReach have any plans for your area.

https://www.openreach.com/

Brian

Archer
Grafter

Hi,

My point here was that there were grounds to think I may be on ADSL or similar for a long time, particularly as the fibre checkers show nothing planned as well.

Out of interest I also tested mobile broadband. This worked well with improved speeds. The fly in the ointment was that online banking would not work which ( according the the technical help at the bank) was due to rapid changes in IP address, leading them to suspect a fraud. I assume that was down to the carrier grade network address translation used by UK mobile networks.

They could not explain if or how, thier mobile broadband products get around this.

So I will be looking for a cheaper supplier of ADSL when my PN contract expires in a couple of months, if one can be found.

Regards.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Everything Else

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

The fly in the ointment was that online banking would not work which ( according the the technical help at the bank) was due to rapid changes in IP address, leading them to suspect a fraud. I assume that was down to the carrier grade network address translation used by UK mobile networks.

CGNAT reduces the possibility of a public IP change.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Archer 

I'm not sure about this but I believe that to all intents and purposes ADSL is no longer offered generally. You might find a cheaper provider - you might find no providers offering a new connection. It is a product on it's way out.

Brian